Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Light for BGE

easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What grill light do you guys like?  My porch doesn't have a light that points toward the BGE so during the winter it'll get pretty dark over there.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I use my phone flashlight.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    I use a standard flashlight but would love to hear a better option if anyones found a decent light that mounts to the eggy.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

fudge... just saw this thread so i wont bump mine that i started apaprently right after this.. :)

here is what i said:

I've held off buying any lighting yet and wondering what you all use.. I have seen quite a few that have a small light..  I was looking something a little larger maybe?  Alot of my cooks seem to finish in the dark and then there is the whole daylight savings and fall/winter/spring months where it is definitely me cooking in the dark.

i could run an extrension cord to the table so it doesnt have to be battery operated.  was thinking of making some sort of telescoping type arm that tucks away when not in use or something with a floodlight attached.  i dont want it to look like frankenstein either hanging off my table... 

anyone got a good one to share?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Get a good LED flashlight (http://www.fenixlights.com/ if you have the money, or dealextreme.com if you want cheap but powerful).  Buy a light - get one that uses an 18650 (laptop) battery.  Same battery the original Teslas use.  You can get two batteries and a charger for $14 on amazon.

Anyway, then buy a microphone goosneck, microphone clamp and a mount, about $15 (amazon is where I bought mine).

This setup is way better than anything you can buy, for a lot less.  Avoid flashlights with more than one LED.  Cree is a good LED brand.

18650 batteries have very high energy densities and are inexpensive.  You can pick up a 220 lumen light for about $15 on dealextreme, like the one in the pictures below.  Will run about 1.5-2 hours on high, 4 hours on medium.  High is probably too bright.

I saw one at my local dealer that fits on the handle and uses LEDs.  Only fits the smaller width handle for the LBGE but a new design will come out shortly for the wider handle design.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I use one of those large campsite flashlights
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I use a LED headlamp. Dorky? Yes, indeed. But it works well. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Daughter with a flashlight in her hand i believe in making her work for egg food lol  :))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Several years ago my family bought me a BBQ set from Brookstone and it came with a led light that clamped to the table, works great for me.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I got a BBQ light for christmas that is an LED battery powered light with a flexible stem and a clamp to clamp to the table. I don't think it's water proof, but it's really bright for the grill and I doubt it cost too much.  My local walmart has some grill lights with a similar set up in the BBQ section.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I see Lizzie with a hella rallye headlamp on her forehead >:D<

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    That's right, you look crazy but it works!
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    edited July 2012
    I just visited Ikea in the Round Rock area and got this on sale for 9 bucks! I just dry tested it and its quite bright. The good thing is that is off to the side and far from the heat. On the other side, I can use it as a reading light in bed or when working with small stuff on my RC Planes and Helis!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47

I pondered on this subject several weeks back, I finally decided on building a pergola / arbor over my egg table and mounted a flood light on the upper frame facing back towards the grill with two bulbs. This set up has worked out great!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Before moving last winter, I had the same problem. I used one of those led flashlight headbands. Hands free light where ever you look.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have a grill pergola that I strung decorative mini LED lights around the edge that provides plenty of light to see what I'm doing.  They do have a tendency to attract a few bugs which in turn attracts tree frogs - quite entertaining while grilling.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Leaves you hands free and comes in handy for a ton of other things too.
    Pentwater, MI
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Here is the setup from Ikea.image
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    @nolaegghead -  took your advice and ordered the supplies from Amazon and waiting on them to arrive.  It sounds ideal.  I have some decent flashlights (Costco) and I like the idea of not having a cord.  My egg is exposed, so I don't want to have to worry about running an extension cord out to it every time I cook in the dark and bringing it back in when I'm done.

I also have the headlights and they work great.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Decorative LEDs provide plenty of light for me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    dle7, looks like Christmas all year long. I like it, and every time you fire up the egg you get a gift.
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead -  took your advice and ordered the supplies from Amazon and waiting on them to arrive.  It sounds ideal.  I have some decent flashlights (Costco) and I like the idea of not having a cord.  My egg is exposed, so I don't want to have to worry about running an extension cord out to it every time I cook in the dark and bringing it back in when I'm done.

I also have the headlights and they work great.
    Nice.  Hate cords, and I'm a flashaholic - probably have 25 or more LED torches.  I'm using the mic goosenecks on most of my big shop tools, they work great.  I only recharge, on average, two or three times a year.  Then again, I only turn them on if I need them.  I think you'll be happy.
  • nolaegghead
    I like your set-up using mic goosenecks. I think I'll steal that idea.  I really like the DigiQ stand.  Is that a mic stand?  Nice!
    Yep, the DigiQ is on a mic stand too. Good observation. I was going to put it on a double mic stand, but a single gooseneck is strong enough.  Seems to be pretty rust resistant so far, as I've been rained on at least 10 times going to bed when it was too hot to cover.  Did have a problem with the thermocouple wires getting wet....
    James MB Posts: 359

I have bought the same Ikea light for that purpose. The good thing is it runs on DC and the power adapter is at the plug end so only low voltage DC running outside.

The bad news is it isn't 12V DC - so despite using the same type of DC lead as the Guru it can't share it. Actually come to think of it I could try.....

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Weber make a handle light for the "Q". Happens to fit the large BGE perfectly http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6503-Q-Handle-Light/dp/B000WEPFT0
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Weber make a handle light for the "Q". Happens to fit the large BGE perfectly http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6503-Q-Handle-Light/dp/B000WEPFT0

Came to post this! Works great. And (if you want to) it automatically turns on/off as raise/lower the lid.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    +1 with aem and Gadfly this is what it looks like installed 
    Hermosa Beach CA