Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar-B-Que Shrimp question for Chef Wil

Options
Spring Hen
Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey cajun man...gotta question for you....I remember fixing barbeque shrimp when I lived in New Orleans but I've forgotten some of the recipe. We took the heads off, left the shell, put them flat in the pan, smothered them in real butter, salt, pepper, garlic salt and worchestershire sauce. Am I forgetting anything - besides the good french bread for dipping???
Judy
Covington, Louisiana USA

Comments

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Spring Hen,

Is this what you are looking for?

Creole BBQ Shrimp
    Adapted from Pascale’s Manale, New Orleans
    Yields: 4 servings

Here’s a dish with a big misnomer, since the shrimp don’t go anywhere near a barbecue. This very rich dish was created at Pascale’s Manale restaurant in New Orleans, made there with heads-on shrimp and baked, not barbecued, with plenty of butter. A casserole of these will go fast.

8 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce
    1 1/2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
    3 lemons (2 to squeeze and one sliced into thin rings)
    Salt, to taste

1. Heat a large sauté pan (large enough to hold the shrimp in one layer) or a 9x13 baking dish. Add the butter, oil, garlic, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and hot pepper sauce; stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and toss in the sauce, and even them out in one layer. Sqeeze lemons over the entire area. Sprinkle with salt, cover with sliced lemons and place in a preheated 375° oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until they are just done, tossing them once.

2. Serve in soup bowls with the sauce and crusty Italian bread on the side.

http://www.gloryb.com/cgi-bin/sefer.cgi?display:1091025449-31814.txt
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Oh yes, I was forgetting the hot sauce - how silly of me. I'm surprised it said to peel the shrimp. I thought we used to leave them in the shells. That would be a lot easier though. Thanks a lot. I think I will spoil Spring Chicken this weekend and just fix him some. Happy 4th to you!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA