Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No longer a lurker - first pizza attempt

Options
atads
atads Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my fourth cook on my Medium BGE and I finally was able to take some pictures for a post.  First few cooks were grilled halibut, flap steak, and ABT's, so I decided I was ready to try out pizza.  I used Whole Foods pre-made refrigerated stuff for the dough.  Some of the toppings:

I was having a few people over so I made 3 pizzas: Margharita, Chicken Parm Pizza, and Grilled Chicken & Turkey Bacon Alfredo Pizza.

This was definitely a learning experience for sure.  I used the Medium Woo2 from CGS and a pizza stone I purchased at Target.  It came as a set, with a stone, peel, and pizza cutter all in one for $18.00.  Here's the Margharita before it became misshapen and burned: 

When I went to put this one on the egg, dome temperature was reading 750+ according to the BGE dome thermometer.  Probably a little hotter than necessary.  I tried to quickly slide the pizza onto the egg, but it didn't go as gracefully as I had imagined it would.  I also burned the crust pretty bad.  Still tasted OK though.  I toned down the temperature for the last two.  Here are the chicken parm and the dilapidated Margharita finished products:

I think for next time I'll work to maintain a more consistent dough thickness all the way around.  I also probably need to use a little less cornmeal on the peel.  The pizzas definitely did get progressively better, and by the time I made the Grilled Chicken & Turkey Bacon Alfredo pizza I ended up with a really great bottom crust.  Dome temp reading was down to about 650 at that point.  Probably a good sign that the pizzas were getting better and not worse.  

Thanks for reading, any and all pizza advice welcome.
denver, co

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    For commercial pre-made dough, lower temperatures are better. I suggest 450-500.

edited July 2012
    Options
    +1 on the lower temp. I use the whole foods fresh dough and shoot for around 550 dome temp. Pizzas are tricky but once you get the hang of it it's a snap. Learning as you go is half the fun. I see the cookies there too. Once you've cooked the pizzas, dial down the temp to about 350 and throw some cookie dough on the stone. Pretty unique and tasty cookies come off the egg too =P~
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • atads
    atads Posts: 4
    Options
    Ah yes, I knew lower temperature was probably the key.  I'll dial it back for the next go round.  

Since you've worked with Whole Foods dough before, any other tips?  I had a hell of a time working with it, and I brought it to room temp before messing with it.  Should I be using a lot of flour while rolling it out?
    denver, co
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Ah yes, I knew lower temperature was probably the key.  I'll dial it back for the next go round.  

Since you've worked with Whole Foods dough before, any other tips?  I had a hell of a time working with it, and I brought it to room temp before messing with it.  Should I be using a lot of flour while rolling it out?

I use as little flour as possible (dries it out) and I don't use cornmeal at all since I have a SuperPeel. I usually slice one dough into to medium smallish pizza sizes for easier management and more diversity. I find that a wooden rolling pin lightly dusted with flour helps tremendously when shaping the dough, though I must confess my pizzas are usually not the roundest. Also bear inmind the longer you let the raw dough sit, the bigger it gets and the more air bubbles too.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I use safeway dough & do it at 450 dome. I let the stone heat up for about 1 hour & let er rip. They are getting better the more I do them & don't overload the pie with stuff.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I did my first pizza tonight and learned that - oblong and square pizza taste just as good as a round one!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.