Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust Lesson

bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in Baking
Did my first pizza on the BGE.

I was at my local Italian market which is really world class and bought a pizza dough just in case my homemade one didn't cut it.

I tried Giada DeLaurentis' recipe and the crust did not rise in the oven or get brown even after 30 minutes at 550 - 600.

I tried the store bought dough and it made a beautiful crust and a great pizza. Maybe I screwed up Giada's recipe but I think I need to find something better. Anyone got a great pizza crust recipe?

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    I have not tried this recipe, but it has been shared a lot recently. Click here for the latest thread.
  • Brownie
    edited July 2012
    Hmmm. Blew it. try this? 

www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141401/pizza-pics-caputo-00-flour

I don't know. Usually works. Copy and paste if needed.
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    edited July 2012

Never mind  

• Brownie

Never mind  

That's as far as I got too.
    :((
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited July 2012
    @bjadams
    The recipe posted by @ChokeOnSmoke in the thread shared by @Brownie contains sugar and oil and does not tolerate high temperatures verry well.  I tried this recipe before with bread flour and with all purpose flour, it was good but not fantastic.  I also made it with the Caputo 00 flour and it was better but still not I was looking for.

For my last pies, I used a recipe posted by @Nolaegghead and I can say that this is THE best pizza dough I ever made.  I also used Caputo 00 flour.  I now consider it a key ingredient.  For my next batches I will used another brand of 00 flour.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1208380

At the end of the day it comes down to finding a recipe that you like; it took me 20 years...

edited July 2012

If the Giada recipe is the FN one that comes up in a google search that just has yeast, flour, water and salt, the only fault I can see with it is that it doesn't specify "proofing" the yeast, which would be letting the yeast sit in the warm water for about 10-15 minutes with maybe a pinch of sugar before you mix the dough. Missing that step might cause the yeast to fail to activate, which from your description sounds like it was the problem. Old yeast could be the problem too. Or water hotter than 110-115 could kill the yeast.

I used a similar recipe for years and it made pizza as good as any store bought dough, even though I have recipes now that I like better.

BTW, the "never mind" above was the deletion of a dumb post by me, not an implied comment on anyone else's post.

• Brownie
    edited July 2012
    paqman Thanks for the help, I was having a hard time... Plus I'm bookmarking the recipe, thanks for that as well.
  • bjadams
    bjadams Posts: 28
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I started thinking that perhaps I gave the Giada recipe a bad rap and put her dough into the egg before it really got heated through. Hey, practice makes perfect.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Anyone have experience with medium and the 10" stone from ceramuc grill store.
  • rickHP

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started thinking that perhaps I gave the Giada recipe a bad rap and put her dough into the egg before it really got heated through. Hey, practice makes perfect.

Actually, the "dumb" suggestion I deleted was that maybe the stone wasn't hot enough. I figured that was wrong since you had success with the store dough. But yeah, if you still had the egg running, maybe it eventually got hot enough for the second pizza to work OK. 

• trevorst
    trevorst Posts: 64
    This has become our favorite Pizza Dough, works great on the Egg or in the Oven at 500.

If The dough is very sticky add a little additional flour....
  • rickHP

That Mozza recipe is BY FAR the best dough recipe I have ever tried. Didn't realize anyone else here knew about it. I've only used it in the oven.

However, I find it so incredibly wet that it's almost a batter more than a dough and I have to add quite a bit extra flour.

I'd also like to figure out how to adapt it to a long retard in the fridge so I can make it in advance and just pull it out a couple of hours before baking

• trevorst
    trevorst Posts: 64
    edited July 2012

That Mozza recipe is BY FAR the best dough recipe I have ever tried. Didn't realize anyone else here knew about it. I've only used it in the oven.

However, I find it so incredibly wet that it's almost a batter more than a dough and I have to add quite a bit extra flour.

I'd also like to figure out how to adapt it to a long retard in the fridge so I can make it in advance and just pull it out a couple of hours before baking

I freeze it in ziplock bags, works great. Just pull it out a couple of hours beforse you cook. Agree with the need to add extra flour, I add untill it just has a slight sticky feel to it.
  • I use two types of flour for my pizza depending on the style pie I want.  Straight "00" for traditional thin crust or I will mix "00" at a 1 to 1 ratio with King Arthur Bread Flour (Blue & White bag).  The protein content is 12-14% and is the best combo I have found in years.  For 30 years we used commercial flours named Bouncer or Tiger which were high gluten flours used for baking pizza in Baker's Pride or Blodgett ovens.  The advent of conveyor type ovens changed all that and you cannot find those types of flour any longer.  Most of the flour today has other additives in it.  My mother used Robin Hood flour for all her bread and pizza baking.  I have not seen that flour for many years.  Everything changes and you have to keep adjusting to the change in formulas.  The water quality varies from state to state as well.  You will never get good results from hard water or the crap water in Florida.  The Detroit area is know for some of the best water quality in the country.  The water ph averages 7.0 which is perfect.  Some softener systems bring the water to 0 ph which may be too soft for some recipes and you will have to adjust your yeast levels.  Most bottled water is around 6.5 to 7 ph and works well. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!