Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Digi q dx

gelenn
gelenn Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in Forum List
I just bought the digi q dx and did my first cook, a boston butt.  I set the temp at 225 and it held at that temp for the entire cook. I noticed my dome thermometer read about 185, is this usual that the dome temp is 40 lower than than the grill temp.  if so, i must have been cooking a lot hotter in the past than i thought.  Or should i trust the temp for the dome and not trust the temp on the digi q?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have two Digi Q's and have noticed the same thing.  I always trust the Digi-Q, but have noticed the dome usually equalizes later in the cook.  Not sure I can explain why.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ...is this usual that the dome temp is 40 lower than than the grill temp.  
    I use a DigiQ DX for low & slows.  My dome is always about 25 degrees higher, never lower.
    Be careful not to put the probe too close to the edge where the heat streams up past the plate setter.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Also, don't get it too close to cold meat either. At least early on the cold meat cold impact the temp a bit.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Using the temp gauge on the lid while using the digi is like trying to tell time with 2 watches, they will never be spot on.  I actually remove mine when using the digi
  • Did you check the calibration of your BGE thermometer. In boiling water it should read 211 -212..
  • I'll try the above, guess it will be a little learning curve to get it right.  Thanks
  • I did my first cook with it tonight. The pit tem was very accurate BUT the food temp was reading 20 to 30 degrees hotter than actual. It started beeping 45 mins in to a typical 1:10 cook. sure enough it was reading 167 and my thermapen was at 144. By the time the yard bird was done it was reading 211. I repositioned the probe a few time even went as far as placing it in the same hole my thermapen made. aggravating to say the least but the ability to keep the pit at 350 amazing. 
  • i experienced the same thing with my butt, i trusted my thermapen on this one.  I was chalking up to placement, if this holds to be the case.
  • i hope it is/was placement, although i tried several locations. not sure how far you are supposed to insert the probe but it can only go so far on a chicken??? 

this should rate as one of those conversations only allowed when talking about cooking LOL
  • DigiQ is now working to perfection and matching my thermapen...
    I did 2 cooks and both were spot on. 

The only thing i did different was stat the cook with the food probe plugged in (outside not in the dome) v/s waiting for the pit to come up to temp then plugging in the food probe and resetting. I also mad sure i took the long route to the center of the meat to insure i had as much as possible of the probe (before the curve) covered 

Dunno, maybe my first cook was a fluke but now I love the guru.
  • Thanks to the forum for the help.  I got a DigiQ for Christmas and tried it on the coldest day with a 45 mph wind just this past week.  Had a brisket and had to try.  The temperture gauge on my egg decided to stop working and I did not figure it out right away. (Actually my husband did)  Got a different gauge from the dealer and without reading the blog I would have spent a whole lot more time not really knowing whether or not the original gauge was really bad.  Yes, it is a bad original gauge.   I calibrated the new one to make sure it read to 212 degrees and all is now well in the egg!     Oh yeah,  the brisket it was good.  I'll be fine tuning the DigiQ for many more hours of slow smoke also.

• Got the DIGQ for Christmas as well. Am going to use it again on a 20# turkey this weekend. I always like to do my chickens and turkeys with the beer can setup but this time i want to position the turkey with the legs up. Not sure whether the can will fit at the 'head' opening. Any suggestions on time and temp?
  • Booshway
    Booshway Posts: 10
    I am new egger and I am thinking of investing in the DIGQ DX.  Do I just need the monitor and probes?  Or do I need fans as well.  Sounds a little confusing.  I have found the DIGQ DX on line for about $179, but on ebay it is over $200????  Am I missing something here?
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited July 2012
    You need the fan and adaptor plate.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited July 2012
    This is the cheapest complete kit I have found in my recent searches.  I just cannot afford to pull the trigger yet.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150847113537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited July 2012
    Yeah...that's a couple of bucks cheaper than buying direct from BBQ Guru....free shipping too. It looks like they only green though....I kinda want a red one.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Me too.  Red will make the food taste better!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.