Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough

Options
tybish
tybish Posts: 61
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need to learn how to make my own pizza dough. Suggestions?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    For authentic Neapolitan style, start here...

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks like a good recipe.

My tips are:

1. measure everything by weight
    2. buy Carputo Tip "00" flour
    3. don't use tap water - use bottled
    4. don't be afraid to cook it hot - up to 900 F, but start with 550F
    5. knead the dough properly - follow directions  on the rise times.
    6. never use a roller - unless you want a cracker crust - it pushes out the rise
    7. get a pizza stone
    8. get a peel (actually nice to have more than one)
    9. less is more for toppings.  Look at pics of famous pizza restaurant pizzas
    10. try to make your dough without sugar and olive oil first
    Options
    sorry, that Tipo, not tip flour
    Options
    ...and kiss your felt gasket, if you still have it, bye bye
    Options
    ...and find real canned San Marzano tomatoes - don't buy pizza sauce unless you're feeding a bunch of kids that prefer the sugar.
    edited July 2012
    Options

No need to use "00" flour if you're baking under 750 degrees.

Here's a pretty simple recipe that will probably seem heretical to some

Note - I weigh ingredients as well. I definitely recommend a scale

500g flour (I use King Arthur AP or Bread)

350g water (the ratio of water to flour is called the hydration, This is 70%)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon instant yeast

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Knead a little if necessary to incorporate the ingredients. Form into rough ball and put back in bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap.

Throw in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Stretch and fold the dough over on itself once every 12 hours or so.

Pull the dough out about 2 hours before you want to bake and let it come to room temperature. Make pizzas.

This requires some advance planning, but is actually as close to zero work as you can get it. Your can ratio this up or down as need be. You can also play with the hydration. Higher will usually give you a puffier airier crust.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    That's the "no knead" recipe.  I tried it a while back and it was great!  I've been making the "no knead" bread for years. 

The King Arthur web site's featured pizza dough recipe actually calls for "00" flour.  I'll have to try theirs after I run out of my 20+ pound stash of Caputo's.  

Antico Molino Caputo flour is widely recognized as the best traditional wood oven pizza flour in the world, but you'll spend about $0.75 per pizza versus $0.20. 

Options

I tried many different ones and my favorite came from this forum from FIDEL  . . based off Mellow Mushroom's crust so has molasses with thin chewy crust, excellent. . . here it is:

---

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup    spring water at 105-110*
    1 tsp    fast acting yeast
    1 1/4 tsp    molasses
    1 tsp    salt
    1 1/2 tsp    olive oil
    3/4 cup    cold spring water
    3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cup    high gluten flour (I use KA Sir Lancelot)

Procedure:
    1 Add the yeast to the hot water, mix thoroughly until yeast is dissolved, then add the molasses and stir again to dissolve the molasses.
    2 Allow to bloom for a few minutes. You don't want a full bloom, but allow the beginning bubbles to appear. Add the cold water to bring the
    3 temperature down to slow the fermentation process. Spring water is important for proper mineral content, taste, and lack of chlorine.
    4 Chlorine is a natural enemy of the yeast and is purported to inhibit the proper rise. Put all the liquid into a mixer bowl. Add the salt
    5 and olive oil and using the beater attachment stir to combine.
    6 Slowly begin adding flour a tablespoon or two at a time with the beater paddle spinning. The idea is to make something resembling a thick
    7 batter and beat for a few minutes. The idea is to fully combine and distribute all the ingredients. Begin adding flour again, slowly, until
    8 the batter comes together into a dough ball.
    9 Switch to a dough hook and continue adding flour, little by little, until the dough ball is the proper consistency. Knead for 4-5 minutes,
    10 turning the dough over at least once during the kneading.
    11 Form into two balls of equal sizes. Roll the balls tightly and place seam down on oiled cookie sheet. Lightly spray the balls with cooking
    12 spray, cover, and place in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Longer is better.
    13 Once the dough balls have doubled in size they are ready to go. You can expedite this by allowing to rise at room temperature after the 12
    14 hour rest in the fridge

Cooking Tips
    Cooking Tips
    Optional: At the end of the kneading process you can add garlic powder, dried basil, oregano, or any other herbs or aromatics you want to
    enhance the flavor of the dough.
    A couple tips. If you want a more yeasty flavor then allow the yeast to bloom more fully before you incorporate the remaining ingredients.
    If you prefer a softer crust increase the amount of oil in the dough and reduce the water (or increase the flour) to compensate.

Recipe Source
    Author: Fidel

Source: BGE Forum, Fidel, 2009/02/14  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    nolaegghead-is there a brand og the tomatoes you prefer? Which style do you use i.e. peeled, stewed etc? How do you use the tomatoes? Make a sauce or just put on the dough?My first pizza was charcoal after just a few short minutes...I wanna try again. Thanks!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    nolaegghead-is there a brand og the tomatoes you prefer? Which style do you use i.e. peeled, stewed etc? How do you use the tomatoes? Make a sauce or just put on the dough?My first pizza was charcoal after just a few short minutes...I wanna try again. Thanks!
    Real San Marzano canned tomatoes if you have them.  Peeled or crushed, doesn't really matter.  I find grape tomatoes work nicely too.  We can strive to make a margherita pizza, can't we?  That fresh buffalo mozzarella is impossible to get...