Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking trout

Options
turok
turok Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So a buddy of mine says I gotta try smoking fish in my egg. He is going to give me some lake trout sometime soon. What do I do with it? I have never smoked seafood. Grilled fish yes. So if there is a good thread here or if somebody has some killer tips it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Smoked fish is great! I hot smoke salmon all the time. I usually use my Big Chief electric smoker for that, but the egg would work just as well.

Lake trout is an oily fish that would work very well with hot smoking. I would treat it just like hot smoked salmon. I make a dry brine of brown sugar, salt, and spices. I will try and find the method I use.

Here it is:

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
  • turok
    Options
    awesome. Thanks for the info.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    if im going to hot smoke a lake trout, i like the smaller ones, under 22 inches. basic rub is a cup of brown sugar, a quarter cup salt, some pepper, garlic, and onion powder, maybe a little cayenne, with the small fillets i just heavey sprinkle, cover with syran for 4 to 6 hours and then smoke around 220 dome. i serve and eat them hot. bigger lakers i liked fried, soaked for a minimum of 6 hours in milk with enough lemon juice to curdle it, dipped in a batter and fried, served with togue sauce, ketchup horseradish, lemon juice, a little worcestershire sauce, and maybe a few squirts tobasco. this batch was a mix of lake trout and lanlocked salmon done the same way

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Smoked salmon is awesome.  The Naked Whiz's plan (good one):

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm

Do it!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • turok
    Options
    if im going to hot smoke a lake trout, i like the smaller ones, under 22 inches. basic rub is a cup of brown sugar, a quarter cup salt, some pepper, garlic, and onion powder, maybe a little cayenne, with the small fillets i just heavey sprinkle, cover with syran for 4 to 6 hours and then smoke around 220 dome. i serve and eat them hot. bigger lakers i liked fried, soaked for a minimum of 6 hours in milk with enough lemon juice to curdle it, dipped in a batter and fried, served with togue sauce, ketchup horseradish, lemon juice, a little worcestershire sauce, and maybe a few squirts tobasco. this batch was a mix of lake trout and lanlocked salmon done the same way

Man, that sounds like an awesome way to smoke them. I will give that a go. I was totally salivating over that picture.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nom nom nom....
    Options
    Never tried trout, but I was stressing this past week trying to smoke tuna for a smoked tuna dip I wanted to make for the 4th. I brined the fish in a simple salt water bath for about an hour, dried thoroughly and smoked with apple and a little hickory for just over two hours at 200, to internal temp of 160-165. They turned out perfect. The funny thing about the fish that I found was that coming right off the grill, I was afraid I hadn't used enough wood. After chilling in the fridge, though, the smoke flavor came alive, and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I thought I might be biased, but it went quickly at the party, and everyone loved it.

I'm sure trout would be really good, too. A little hot sauce and a cracker and that sounds like a hell of a meal!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I have never cold smoked a trout/salmon/char. I just purchased a small egg, and my local Ace is looking at a small to large ductwork solution... That said, I really like grilling and hot smoking them. For whole trout, I just put a couple lemons and onions in the cavity, salt and pepper, foil, and cook about 6 mins per side. Larger salmonids, I just use a bit of EVOO, salt, pepper, and raging river (recent discovery). Cook until 145 or so at 350, raised direct. Takes about 15 or 20 minutes. With the recent heat up here, I may just throw my next trout on the sidewalk, direct, no foil...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe