Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steak With Corn on the Cob At The Same Time?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a steak with a lower grate, searing both sides. Pulling off and getting the grill to about 350 - 400 then throwing steaks back on to finish at the higher grate level. I am going to throw in a chunk of hickory. Can I cook a corn on the cob (husk on) when I lower the temp for the finish of the steak and cook it at the same time? Will it be alright with that hickory smoke? Thanks!

I've never done a corn on the cob on the grill. How long does it take to cook?

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I have done that combo, but I put the corn on early well before the steaks at about 400 for 20 to 30 minutes then raised the temp for steaks and put them on.  Make sure that you soak the corn in water first and then I pull a small section of the husk and spray the corn with olive oil inside the husk (but that's probably not necessary).   Not sure on the hickory though...I never add smoke wood for steak so I am not sure if the corn would take on any of that smoke or not.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    +1 on putting the corn on early - they take much longer than the steak
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I wouldn't use the wood.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I wouldn't use the wood.
    I guess the Op could add the hickory at the end just for the steak portion of the cook...me personally, I don't use smoke wood other than what comes off naturally from the lump for steak, but I have heard of some that do.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Most might think I'm nuts, but I'm a sweet corn minimalist.  On the grill, husk on, you just need to heat it thru, about 2 minutes turn 180 degrees and 2 minutes more.  To tell the truth, I like good sweet corn blanched for about 30 seconds, no more, no butter, no salt.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Most might think I'm nuts, but I'm a sweet corn minimalist.  On the grill, husk on, you just need to heat it thru, about 2 minutes turn 180 degrees and 2 minutes more.  To tell the truth, I like good sweet corn blanched for about 30 seconds, no more, no butter, no salt.

I need some clarity, you cook corn in the husk for a total of 4 min?

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Everyone has their corn method.  I have had great results (to my family's tastes) with corn, husk off, on a 400 degree raised grill for about 8 minutes, rotating every 2 minutes a quarter turn.

Can't imagine doing corn for 20 mins, but I'm sure the poster gets the results that suits him. Husks on versus off makes a big difference, I'm sure.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Everyone has their corn method.  I have had great results (to my family's tastes) with corn, husk off, on a 400 degree raised grill for about 8 minutes, rotating every 2 minutes a quarter turn.

Same here, no husk, no soaking, no need.  Direct for 8-10 minutes.  Flip often and pay attention so it doesn't turn black.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Options
    Where was this thread when I was trying to learn to cook corn on the egg?

All I could find was I had to cook it until it was done!

Basically I cook it without husk at whatever temp everything else is cooking at, flipping as needed, until kernels start to change texture a little bit, then pull and eat. Sometimes it takes longer than others, sometimes it happens pretty quick. Maybe I overcook it but nobody has complained yet.

If we get some that does not have much flavor, just melt some butter and add some parmesan cheese and garlic together and brush it on after the cook.