Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EGGer!

Richtermedic
Richtermedic Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Just ordered the XL baby yesterday. Got the plate setter and cast iron grates. Will be delivered as soon as I build the table. Trying to decide on which wood to use. Thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Check with your local lumbar yard and see what they have that is good for exterior projects like cedar, red wood, white oak, ext. (it varies depending where you live).   I would stay away from pressure treated, don't like it being used around food. 
  • Good point about pressure treated around food. That's the way the wife is wanting to go since the grill was so expensive. I'm anxious to get this table done so my baby can come home and I start using it.
  • I ended up going with the pressure treated. Chose 4x4's for the legs. Got going last night on it and Lowe;s gave me all wrong hardware. Had to make second trip. Started again today after getting a late start and 20 minutes into working hit a rain delay. Have a bunch of barn wood being given to me though so I will be incorporating that as well. Have to go back to work tomorrow so won't be able to actually cook until Wednesday at the soonest.... still wondering what will be first.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Don't wait for the table till you cook! Mines sat on a paver on the deck waiting for me to build its home...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Congrats on the egg purchase. Follow double's advice and start egging.  Good luck with the table.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I went ahead and built the table. I waited for the egg to be delivered because we have some big dogs, and I didn't want to risk it getting knocked over. Which was likely. The table is done and the egg has hatched as of about 30 minutes ago. I'm working on what to cook tonight and watching videos of how to get it lit and going. Looks like hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoes, corn, and such tonight. Didn't come with any kind of instruction manual for lighting or how hot to cook anything so I'm researching right now. ALso the cast iron grate won't be in till next week. Not waiting for that though.