Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker temp vs BGE temp variable?

Options
Gabe
Gabe Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi-

I've had a stoker for a bit now, and I notice that the temperature of the Big Green Egg thermometer is not always comparable to the temperature the stoker is. It would make sense, for example, if the stoker were off the egg by 15 degrees consistently throughout the cook, but sometimes the egg thermometer temp is higher by as much as 40 degrees. Sometimes the stoker is higher by as much as about 20 degrees.

Thoughts I had were:

1) Maybe at the beginning of the cook before the meat shrinks the BGE thermometer is closer to the meat thus affecting it.

2) Being on the grate, the stoker pit probe is more affected by flame ups of fat dripping on the coals

3) Maybe the pit probe is placed too close to the meat causing shifts in its temp during the cook as the meat changes size as it loses fat.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I also have a Stokers. I calibrated the temp probes when I got my Stokers. After a cook, I clipped the Stokers pit temp probe to the shaft on the BGE temp probe. After 20 minutes, I readjusted the BGE probe to match the Stokers reading. Now when I have my Stokers probe elsewhere, my BGE temp and Stokers temp are within a couple of degrees.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    According to the documentation that came with my DigiQ DXII, it's normal for the grate temp to be different than the dome temp where the hole is on the Egg.  Their theory is the food is on the grate and that's the best place to regulate the temp.  The grate has mass and changes temperature more slowly than the air in the dome, so you get an integrated average temp over time, less susceptible to spikes.  Also, mechanical thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.  Sounds like you calibrated it to the stoker thermocouple.  The DigiQ manual also said their thermocouples were factory calibrated and there's no need to calibrate.  I checked mine using the ice/boiling water test.  Dead on.  Being in New Orleans, I'm at sea level, so no correction for barometric pressure.
    Options
    If you are using a pit controller, go with the temperature of the pit controller (assuming you know its calibrated) and ignore the BGE therm. I don't have a stoker, I have an Auber Instruments, and that is what I do when I use it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    I always clip my Auber thermometer to the BGE thermometer because I am used to cooking by BGE "dome" temperature.  At least that is what I assume people mean when they give a temperature to cook by.
    __________ Chris
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Most temperatures that are referenced (unless mentioned otherwise) are dome temps as that is the one indicator that all BGE's have.  That said, there is a recent thread about the dome/grid off-set (especially prominent with indirect cooks) linked here that is worth a read.

Dome vs Grid temp 

Sometimes you can end up in the "too much info" space...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    When using my stoker, I'm in the ignore the BGE dome temp camp.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    + 1 for R2EGG2Q 
    and make sure to check the probes in boiling water, love my stoker 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Mudhole
    Mudhole Posts: 26
    Options
    I also ignore my Big Green Egg dome temp, they get closer after about an hour when egg and food stabilizes