Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butting In

Options
Dave B
Dave B Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be my first attempt to do pulled pork. I just picked up a 6.5 lb. butt for the week-end. Dr. BBQ's book hasn't let me down yet, so I'll follow his advice. Recipe sez 235 and don't peek for at least 10 hours and cook till internal is 190. [p]Any thoughts on how long the total cooking time will be?

Comments

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Dave B,[p]I usually plan on about 2 hours per pound. But the internal temp is the key, for me. When I get a reading of 195-200 internal, I call it a "done" deal.[p]Save me a sandwich![p]:)

• a.smack
    a.smack Posts: 20
    Options
    Dave B,[p]I put mine on early before sunrise this morning. This is my first attempt as well and looking forward to that first peek.[p]I am going by the estimated 2 hr. per lb. but am going to watch that internal temp.[p]a.smack.
  • Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    Dave B,
    i always seem to go atleast 2 hours per lb, and i pull them at 200 internal. i found 195 still a little greasy.

• Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    Groundfish,
    I usually average 2.5 hours per pound if I start them around 240 dome, until meat reaches 140, then I let the dome temp drop to around 220 for the rest of the cook - until they hit 200. The longer the better (once out of the food poisoning zone) in my book. I believe this was advice I received from the great Nature Boy.[p]Wahooegger

• Truck 511
    Truck 511 Posts: 33
    Options
    Dave B,[p]I've been averaging 45 min per pound and I don't recommend this. It can be very frustrating! [p]My last cook was two 8.5 lbs butts and they finished in 7 hours. I pulled it and it tasted fine. Kind of like the pulled pork you would get in the airport or at a cafeteria. Over my wife's protests, I threw it all out. I didn't get an egg to eat mediocre food. I got the egg so that I could cook amazing food and then taunt the neighbors and then laugh and point at their gas grills.[p]I'm going to do another butt this weekend and I really want a nice 2hour / pound cook.[p]Good luck.
    Matt

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Truck 511,[p]The only way to slow it down is to lower your cooking temp. I'm guessing that you cooked that one between 275-300, so it never stalled in the plateaus.[p]try calibrating your thermometer(s) and then getting a dome temp of about 225-250 (max) and no higher. [p]Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Dave B, if you're not using a BBQ Guru, then set your dome temp between 225 and 250. Mine usually do very well at 1.5 hrs/lb. So for a 6.5lb butt, you might be ready to go at 10 hours. If it's ready then, just wrap it in foil and put in a cooler with towels on top of it. If not, just leave it on there and check it once an hour. :)

• Truck 511
    Truck 511 Posts: 33
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]You are correct. I've calibrated my thermometers and I have a new smoker probe on order (free under warranty) from Maverick. When I calibrated it in boiling water it actually read 230 degrees.[p]After each cook, I was soaking my probes and wires in soapy water. I've come to find out that this is not a good idea and I've probably changed its calibration after each probe bath. [p]When I do my pork butts this weekend, I'm going to have every thermometer that I can get my hands on measuring temperatures. It is going to look like a NASA experiment but smell really good.[p]Thanks

• Dave B
    Dave B Posts: 25
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    My 2 sons-in-law are coming over. If you saw them eat, you would understand why there may not be a sandwich left for either of us!![p]Thanks for the response.[p]Dave B