Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs, only 3 hours to cook, Turbo?

crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Is there such thing as modified Turbo?  I have about 3 hours to cook ribs before a party tonight.  Normally do CWM method but not enough time.

Suggestions?

__________ Chris

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I have no idea-but start with turbo and then throttle down toward the finish-It's all about time at temperature (whatever that value is) to get finished.  Experiment and then you may have a "carburated rib" method:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2012
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min. 
    Baby backs
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• crmilt

Thx.  I will start with Turbo and see how they go timewise.

Happy Holiday weekend to all!

__________ Chris
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    What Mickey said works for me. But my favorite is:
    Indirect at 325 *f for one and half hours. Remove and brush both sides with honey..Put ribs in aluminum foil pan with 1.5 to 2 inches of apple juice, cover with foil and continue cooking at 325* for another hour. Bend test or stick with toothpick. You will be pleased.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Just cooked some turbos for dinner today.  Was out this morning and short on time.  I did em about 325 and they were done in 2 hours.  Came out really good sprayed em with half cider vinegar and half apple juice every half hour Car wash Mike style.  They came out awesome.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Indirect at 325 *f for one and half hours. Remove and brush both sides with honey..Put ribs in aluminum foil pan with 1.5 to 2 inches of apple juice, cover with foil and continue cooking at 325* for another hour. Bend test or stick with toothpick. You will be pleased.
    That is the way the BBQ Doc says to do them in his cookbook.  Never tried it, but bet they are good.
  • crmilt

I out them on while the egg was coming up to temp.  Thus, cooked them for about an hour on low temp.  After that cooked for about 1:45 at 325-375 and then sauced.

Meat did not pull back from the bone much but other than that I could not tell much difference from longer lower cooks.

Certainly a method worth trying.

Thx for the advice.

__________ Chris
  • crmilt
    Should be "I put them on" not "out them on"
    __________ Chris
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    edited May 2012
    That is the way the BBQ Doc says to do them in his cookbook.  Never tried it, but bet they are good.
    Got this method from The BBQ Doc. Should have give the credit where due. I guess it's the 1.5 - 1 method.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I plan to try this tonight. I found the original recipe here 
    http://steamykitchen.com/4034-dr-bbqs-baby-back-ribs.html , but I will try yours because its faster. 

I plan to use dizzy dust rub. 

Should I finish with blue hog bbq sauce unwrapped for 20 min or not?
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Also wood chunks or not? If so when? Begining of the cook I assume?
    Quebec - Canada
  • Bjorg
    Last time I have put smoke in the coal, after letting it burn for 30 min prior to cook, all the wood smoke was already gone. Any tips?

Sorry for the spam, so many questions... 
    Quebec - Canada
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    1) don't add smoke when food it fouled. It won't work.
    2) I add wood chunks just before I pit the meat on. Also put chunks in different spots (deeper in lump) so as one goes out another should take over.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Bjorg
    Thanks Taz, that makes sense
    Quebec - Canada
  • Tmro
    Tmro Posts: 1
    Eggo's approach is perfect. I did not use Honey, but did  foil and covered with Apple. Cider instead on apple juice.