Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time replacing a gasket need help!

Options
2»

Comments

• magyar
    magyar Posts: 19
    Options
    Why do you have to preshrink the Nomex gasket? Also why do you have to take the lid off to install an upper gasket? It seems once you have cleaned it and sprayed the, let it tacky, and just stick on the gasket. I guess I'm missing something.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    The xl lid isnt like the large lid. The xl actually opens and lowers, so the back part of the dome will be below the bottom ring by 4 inches

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• asfish
    asfish Posts: 25
    Options

I have an XL Egg and live in the UK. The BGE standard one was burnt off on the 2nd pizza cook I did (a family do your own) I had followed the rules and done low cooks etc beforehand.

The BGE distributer sent me a standard gasket at no extra cost, in the meantime there have been some complaints from restaurants around the gaskets and there is now a “industrial” one available although this comes with no adhesive, (there are issues getting hold of the required 3M stuff in the UK).

So I did some research and found that there were better 3rd party gaskets, I bought 2 Nomex ones with adhesive included and also enough of that copper silicone to do my XL if I want to in the future.

It’s not easy to get these in the UK, I’m lucky in that at work we have a number of US sites with internal weekly FEDEX services to the UK, so I bought on Amazon US and shipped to a colleague in the US who shipped it on to me in the UK.

I did the gasket with a friend helping me. I loosened some of the bolts on the back of the egg as was able to get the lid up enough fit the gasket without a full removal. In my case I pushed the egg against my fence so that the lid was held in position.

I also notice that the lid was not aligned with the base, even with the new gasket fitted there were gaps, so I adjusted some more of the bolts and sprayed them with WD40. Its still not 100% aligned but I have no gaps in the gasket now.

Been cooking with little or no gasket for a while now, but the Nomex has made a huge difference, I did a piece of port fillet (or tenderloin as it’s called in the US) and all went well. What I did notice was how much the heat is now retained. I never took much notice re burping the egg as the heat wasn’t an issue. Now even after snuffing the egg I get a blast of heat when I open it and hissing noise from the lower air vent when closing the lid.

Well worth the effort on 3rd party gaskets, hopefully BGE UK will start to offer them soon

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I installed the nomex and cooked a pizza 24 hours later. I now don't have a no ex because is came right off.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."