Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking some wings

DCHog
DCHog Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some wings tonight at about 225 degrees...how long should the cook take?  I figure around 3 hours, but would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    I do mine a 400 degrees inderect for 45 minutes to an hour. Or to how crispy you want the wings to be.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I cook mine at 350-400 and then wind it up to 500 for the last 10 mins or so to crisp my skin up.  At 225 the skin is rubbery....you also want to remember poultry really takes on the smoke flavor so you don't want to over do it with the smoke.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    I do mine a 400 degrees inderect for 45 minutes to an hour. Or to how crispy you want the wings to be.
    Exactly how I do it.  No benefit in cooking them slow.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I do them raised direct at about 350. Cook 20 minutes, turn, cook 20, pull them. They are always great. No need to make it harder than it is. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Another opinion (and we all know what those are worth)-I go raised grid, direct around 350-400 (close enough) for around 45-50 mins then sauce and back on for around 5 mins.  All good after that--experiment-and if it works rembember what you did and if not-same thing but don't do it again.  It's a journey and meant to be fun along with learning:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.