Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peri Peri any ideas

Options
Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Found this on the local grocer's discount rack, I've been eyeballing it in the store for a couple of months now, just don't know exactly  what to do with it, I think I'll try some thighs tomorrow.  If anybodies got any ideas or experiences I would appreciate them.

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Wings Marinated in there are good.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Never had the sauce, but we really like the Peri-Peri rub by "Rub w/ Love"... we use it on chicken, mostly, but have used it on pork as well. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow,  I guess the sauce originated in Portugal, and the peppers are now grown in Africa?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The chilis were always from Africa. The Portuguese had a couple of colonies there. Peri peri chicken is the classic.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I have made peri peri wings a couple of times using this sauce...

A whole bottle, some garlic, a few slices of onion, juice of a lemon, kosher salt, black pepper, and a splash of vegetable oil.  Marinate for at least 4 hours.  I am pretty sure I direct grilled them until the skin is crispy.  Although, my new method for chicken wings is indirect at 350.  

There is more than one way to cook that cat, so to speak, but the marinade is very tasty.  I think you will like it.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    For those who want to try one of these sauces, they have just started selling them in Target. They should have the whole range of cook in sauces, marinades and other sauces. Nando's is a South African fast food chicken joint started by  Portuguese fella in SA. Nando's has spread to Dubai, the UK and 2 in Washington DC. The sauces are great and I love the taste of the chili they use. I would never deploy without a bottle to spice up an MRE. 
    Worth a try 
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I spent a lot of time researching piri piri/peri peri after this.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    The sauce is fantastic with chick livers and nice white bread. Grew up in South Africa the Nandos restaurants were great. Suddenly have an urge for chicken livers...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    This was done with a different peri-peri.  If you like mushrooms, this is quite tasty.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    This was done with a different peri-peri.  If you like mushrooms, this is quite tasty.

I will give it a try. Thanks.