Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini - buy or not?

Teslamania
Teslamania Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, with vacation season comming up, I want to take my egg along with me. My large egg would take up the whole back of the mini van, and there would be no room left for the suitcases and the other stuff. A small seems a bit big as well. I am considering the purchase of a mini egg to haul along with me. I estimate that I could cook a couple of chicken breasts, or salmon steaks or do a steak on the mini in a flash. I could cook in two batches if needed. We've got two kids and they don't eat a heck of a lot. My dealer has one for $99. Should i buy it?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Teslamania,
    We like our mini and use it quite a bit. Earl, loves his and takes it ice fishing with him. Great for grilling and there was a post a few day ago about someone doing a low and slo on his.

• Teslamania
    JJ,[p]Thanks for the input. If I buy one, I will have to see if I can get atlanta to send me a neat stand like the one that he had in his picture of it when he goes ice fishing. What is the most that you have been able to fit on the mini at one time? hmm, low and slow - one rib cooked for 3 hrs? I guess I could use the skewer method and stand them up on their ends - if there is enough clearance.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Teslamania,
    I love my mini and it is very easy to transport, especially in a large size boat tote bag like the kind that come from L.L. Bean. The minis are fun to cook on.
    (...I think I hear mine is calling to me from northern Michigan, saying "Run away, run away!")
    Buy it. You will not regret it. As I've said before, you could blow a hundred bucks on a grillion things that wouldn't bring you nearly as much pleasure as that little egg!
    Bone appétit! Julie

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Teslamania,
    At on time I have been able to dop the following items:
    3 medium hamburgers or 6-7 brats or 2 medium pork chops or 1 - 2" thick Porterhouse Steak. They cook very fast on the mini and doing two cooks to feed the family would pose no problems.

• Teslamania
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for your input, and JJ's input. I am always amazed at how quickly forum members respond to questions!

• Teslamania
    JJ,[p]Thanks for the input. One place we booked a place at is reported to have a gas grill. I have never had one, and never used one, and don't intend to start. Having had the Large for almost a year, I didn't want to regress food wise.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Teslamania, Well..tell ya what, if you don't like it, I will be first in line to take it off your hands for a 30% used discount. :-) Been wanting one for a fishing companion on some three/four day raw tenting out..no frills..except the BGT Mini..!!
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy seedubya,
    I am right up the road from Teslamania, and would be happy to pick it up for you...yeeeheee!![p]BTW, clue me in on what "raw tenting" is. Being a nature boy and all, you'd think I know that one.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    00_00029.JPG
    <p />Teslamania,[p] I would not go anywhere without it. It is a mini for sure
    but as the rest say, buy, you'll love it. I have posted
    this before, but it does give you a good idea on just
    how much, or how little you can cook at one time.
    Good camping or anything else you need it for. Will get
    alot of coments as well.[p] Earl

• Teslamania
    Earl, I love that picture. I want to buy the mini and get the stand - if they still have them in Atlanta. How do you start your mini? Do you use a fire starter? Guess it doesn't take much in the way of lump or smoking woods to fire it up!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    teslamania,
    I use a couple of small fire starter cubes. It doesn't hold a tremendous amount of charcoal, so it doesn't take long to start things up. Good luck with yours![p]Earl

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, haaa..that's cool..Your trying to trap me on that one!! Well, my term refer's to just the tent, sleeping bag. cooler of cookin stuff, boat and waves splashing on the shore. Moonlight walleye fishing with nothin but the campfire for a guiding light..:-)
    Now the Mini BGE would solve the cooking angle!! Heck, it doesn't even require a grunt to load and unload. Bag of charcoal weighs more than the cooker..:-) (Well, almost, I can lie a little)
    C~W

• teslamania,[p]I have tried several ways of starting the mini. I once purchased Weber start cubes, but would not use them because of the petroleum smell. Electric starters work well, but they are hard to keep in the mini. When talking with the dealer, as a friend purchased his Egg, I was told to try a propane torch. I now use the torch every time. You must be careful, however, in that there can be sparks when using the flame to start new lump. I always mix new with old and try and light the old.[p]General note and advice: [p]1. Mini Eggs are great![p]2. Make sure to not have your long hair dog next to the mini when starting with propane....
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    small_in_stand.jpg
    <p />teslamania,
    This is a picture of the stand i made for my mini out of a folding bar stool i bought from Target stores,it works great.
    YB

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Teslamania,
    First of all, you easily spend $100 on a lot less.
    If you are buying it to have, then buy it. If you are buying it for vacation, think twice. How much cooking do you actually plan on doing while on vacation?[p]I almost bought one to take on vacation. I glad that I did not. There would not have been enough room in my minivan. Remember that you always seem to come back with more than you left with.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Teslamania
    Larry Jenkins,[p]Thanks for the info.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Teslamania,[p]I have one and used it quite a bit last quail season. I guess between 100-150 quail were cooked on mine for lunches. One of the nice things about the mini is that if in a bind, you can use some Kingsford briquettes(sp?)with pretty good success. There have been a few times the lump was left at home and most of the jiffy stores around here don't carry lump. Actually I cooked several batches of sausages and quail with only 10 - 12 briquettes in the fire box.[p]I carry mine in a metal seven gallon bucket & lid and turn it upside down to cook on. I have a small patio stone that I put in the bottom of the bucket to shield the heat. I just don't won't to burn up my ride home. I do carry a pair of welders gloves so I can empty the coals out of the little guy, so I can put it back in the vehicle.[p]If you have a large and don't use the feet that came with it, you can use them on the mini.[p]Ashley