Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table being built - ventilation question

Options
Ml504
Ml504 Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I've attached a couple of pictures of the table I'm building. My question is in regards to the wood framing that will be surrounding the base of the egg. Do I need to be concerned with heat affecting this area, or is the wood far enough away that I am ok? The bottom pad is roughly 24"x24" if that helps. Thanks for any comments or advice....I can't wait to start cooking on my new egg!
Matt
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    If your keeping the front and side open there should be plenty of air flow.  However I would be a little concerned about the base which the egg will be sitting on.  It looks like you used concrete board & tile which looks a little thin.  If you use the feet, assuming its a large, then you should be ok. You would be surprised how hot the base of the egg can get.
  • Ml504
    Options

Thanks.  I also have a 3/4" piece of granite (20"x20") that I was planning on putting on top of the tile and setting the egg (with feet) on top of that for extra security. 

I just didn't know about the wood that is to the right and the back of where the egg will sit and how hot that area gets - if I needed to put some metal shielding or something.  The left side will be open.

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    With the granite and feet you'll be fine.  My table is open on the bottom so I don't have to worry about the sides getting hot but I think there will be plenty of air flow from the left side and front.  I've seen several tables that only have the front open. 
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    @MI504
    Great looking table! I love that travertine look. I too was concerned about the ply under the tile for the base, but hearing your plan for the 3/4 inch stone on top makes me feel a bit better. I would suggest buying an infrared thermometer so you can check the surface temp of your walls there, and your pizza stone, and your food even. I got one from NewEgg for $19. I love it.

Again, great work on the table.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    The wood to the sides will be fine. There is not that much radiant heat more than a couple of inches away from the sides of the Egg - but those above are right, the base gets extremely hot. Granite will help, but by all means use the ceramic feet as well.
  • Ml504
    Options
    Finished up the table tonight and will post up pics tomorrow. I kinda went overkill and got rid of the granite and end up with 8 - 2" thick firebrick. That should remove all doubt in my mind for the wood underneath. For the sides in the round opening just out of caution I sealed it with high temp caulk.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, and I'll put pics of he final product up tomorrow.
  • Ml504
    Options
    Finished table!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Wow very nice !
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Nice lookin' table, tile looks cool and I really like the look of the storage area doors.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited May 2012
    Options
    nice job on the table.  i like the doors!
  • Ml504
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.....now if I can just get the top dome centered on the bottom one I'll be in business.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Sweeeeeeet!!! Nice work...