Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Success = Good bday for my kids.

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I had purchased a cryovac of 2 boneless pork shoulders from my local Costco.  One of the shoulders weighed in at 8.5lbs and the other at 6.5lbs.  I put the big boy on at 6:30pm and waited 2.5 hours and put the small on at about 9pm.  I took each off about 11:30 and placed them in tin foil then wrapped in towels and put them in a cooler.  They stayed plenty warm until 2pm when I started pulling them.  The rub I used was a basic spice rub of garlic powder, kosher salt, cumin, and chili powder since the pork was used in tacos.  I served the pork with cilantro, onions, salsa, guac, sour cream, etc.  It was a great hit!

I tended the fire to ensure it was the right temperature a few times during the night, but mostly I checked when one of my kids woke up etc.  I am hoping for my bday in august I get a temp controller, lol.

Everyone at the party loved it and I can totally see why Green Eggs sell themselves; 3-4 people at the party asked me where to get one.  If I was a local dealer I would definitely be doing demonstration cooks.

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Glad all went well with the cook...and thanks for the great recipe idea. Never would have thought about doing Taco's. Did a simple cook yesterday...Brat's and Italian sausage with (peppers and onions cooked inside). Eggin' is tons of fun. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I had done a pork shoulder about a month ago and with the left overs my wife and I made tacos.  Bday party was on Cinco De Mayo, so we figured let's do tacos!

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    "Kid's" and grand kids came up yesterday to celebrate my Bday. Bday was on Cinco De Mayo but had to wait for the get together...you know how it is when the kids and grandkids have a full schedule. Had a great day. Can't wait to do some "butt" taco's.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options

butts look delicious... I can see why everyone was happy!

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com