Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost my virginity - first cook with pics

Options
balliardi
balliardi Posts: 72
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

Well with the table finished and the egg assembled there seemed little point in waiting any longer... basically I was like a kid in a sweet shop and had to get it going. So I decided to go for my mate Bob's beer-butt chicken from his book "Heat and Smoke" (I can recommend it highly - http://www.heatandsmoke.com/ if you're interested).

So here we go:

Created a rub and applied it to the chicken after first coating lightly with olive oil. Opened can and used a little of the beer to soak the hickory. Then stuck a couple of crushed cloves of garlic into the beer can. Then stuck beer can up chook's ass. With the egg going strong I got the temp to about 400F and stuck the bird on. 

After about 40 mins I stuck on the peppers, and after about 50 mins the chicken was done (it wasn't big - 1.2kg) so took it off and rested it. Served it up with cous cous and salad, and of course the peppers.

Really happy with the first effort, the egg ROCKS!

Comments