Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Suggestions on a good knife set?

Options
Chasb
Chasb Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    chasb,
    LOL - to go with the spices, Guru, Food Saver, Kitchen Aid, and a companion BGE so your "first born BGE" will have company? Remember this simple slogan...Open thy checkbook, Mr Egger!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    We're putting together our own set of Globals, one knife at a time. I don't think I've ever used a better (comfortable, sharp, stays sharp) knife.[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    chasb,
    for sets i would buy the global, however i only use a deba and a paring knife and a large japanese bunmei. the paring knife is a wustoff and needs frequent sharpening. the deba is a global and is single sided and very shap(stays sharp). the bunmei is my most used knife and is the sharpest and best knife ive ever owned. single japanese bevel with a hollowed back. the rest i use when cutting large boney hunks of meat. the first is a clamming kife which most would not use. the problem with sets is that not every piece feels right in your hand, i would never like the global paring knife however i think the globals are great

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    3d5229c2.jpg
    <p />my knives

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • VaDave
    VaDave Posts: 21
    Options
    I've bought lots and lots of knives over the years (enough to irritate my wife, anyway). Here's what I suggest:[p]First, don't buy one of those sets...just like cookware (pots & pans), they contain a bunch of stuff you really don't need. Here's what you do need:[p]A Chef's Knife - 8 inches*
    A Paring Knife - 3-4 inches
    A Flexible Boning Knife[p]Optionally you may want to add a few things such as:
    Santoku Knife 7-8 inches
    Serrated Bread Knife
    Slicing Knife
    etc.[p]*Note that some ppl prefer to use a Santoku style knife instead of a traditional chef's knife for their primary knife. If you do this, be SURE to get one that rocks nicely. The Global and the Kershaw Shun, for example, rock well. The Wusthof does not.[p]Brands: this is a very personal decision. But you can't go wrong with the following.[p]Kershaw Shun - these are my new favorites. Amazingly sharp, easy to maintain, well balanced, hefty.[p]Global - my previous favorites, despite some drawbacks. Lightweight (takes some getting used to, but great for times when you're doing a lot of cutting), sleek, balanced, very sharp. But they require expensive ceramic stones to sharpen, and have some rough edges, literally.[p]Wusthoff - can't go wrong with these. The best of the widely available upscale knives. Well balanced, good edges, good shapes (except the Santoku which doesn't rock well).[p]There are lots and lots of others out there that can be great. [p]The one I'd avoid would be Henckels. They don't rock well, aren't all that well balanced, and are hard to sharpen. Some ppl have them and love them, so your mileage may vary.[p]Finally, for the boning knife, don't waste your money on an expensive forged one. Just get the Forschner stamped flexible boning knife, for less than $30.[p]Have fun, and be safe.

• Unknown
    Options
    Well, I hate to ask this :)

But which piece of kitchenaid are ya'll using?

Thanks,
    Chasb
  • Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    chasb,
    Both my Grandad & Dad were butchers (aka meatcutters), and all they ever uses were Forschners. I have quite a few of them, and they work great. Easy to keep sharp too. See-Yaa

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi LoveHandles,
    My butcher got me a couple Forschners. Sharp suckers too, nicked myself 4/5 times the first 4/5 times I used them. I was used to just hacking stuff up with my crappy cheap knives & wiping them off to clean them. With Forschners I had to learn the hard way to be extra careful.
    Great knives.
    bruce

• Unknown
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    hi! i am a newbie HERE..with my week old egg! (YAY!) but as far as knives are concerned, my dad is a woodcarver and has been for many many years...knives are his passion....always, he says, go with a knife made of carbon steel (not stainless)...it will keep an edge much much longer...keep 'em sharpened, don't ever put them in the dishwasher, and always cut using a board (not glass, granite, etc) lots o' luck
    gogogumbo

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    My knife drawer is full of Forschners. I've got over a dozen knives and have spent less than you would for two of the knives you see on the Food TV Network. These are utilitarian workhorses, they stay very sharp, and if you ding one or lose one, it's no big deal.[p]