Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Burner

scooter759
scooter759 Posts: 257
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a backup for stir frying when weather doesn't permit me to wok on the egg or I'm using it for another cook. I have a large well ventillated garage with high ceilings and I am fairly comfortable using an outdoor stove in their for inclement weather. Does anyone use a wok stove or camp stove? I am interested in what BTU I will need to achieve a "Wok Hei" cook. I am interested in anyone's experiences and suggestions up to and including "Hey Scooter, doing that in a garage is just plain stupid".
Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I have a burner stand that I use for boiling crawfish.  People also use them for frying turkeys.  You hook it up to a propane tank.  I would think that is perfect for your needs, and I am sure it will get hot enough for wok hei. 

Here's one Lowe's sells.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    Turkey Fryer style burner is also what I would recommend.  A lot of BTU.  

I use my bluestar gas range in the house for WOK.

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

I used to have a rig that like when I was in San Antonio. Wasn't sure if the BTU output (30,000) would be enough. I guess if it can heat 3-4 gallons of peanut oil it can probably handle wok hei. My other concern was the flame pattern. Most turkey fryers have the 4" diameter CI burner. Some camp stoves I've seen have larger diameter burners with an inner and outer flame pattern. Would that make a difference for wok cooks?

Alligator - what is the BTU output of the range burner you use on your bluestar?

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    As for the garage question.....I use a turkey fryer style burner for homebrewing in my open, ventilated garage all the time...zero problems.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the burner for a turkey fryer works well, look for one that does NOT have the top hoop to secure the fryer pot, the hoop gets in the way if you want to do a big boil with a big pot or use a big cast iron pan on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    If you want to spend a few extra bucks, get one made specifically for the task.  Here's one with 96,000 BTU output.  Click here:

Or google "portable wok burner".  There are several out there with a wide price range.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    If you want to spend a few extra bucks, get one made specifically for the task.  Here's one with 96,000 BTU output.  Click here:

Or google "portable wok burner".  There are several out there with a wide price range.
    Wow 96,000 BTU.... wonder if that would fit in the bottom of the EGG. Talk about searing a steak Fast! Oh man the posibilities..
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35

I used to have a rig that like when I was in San Antonio. Wasn't sure if the BTU output (30,000) would be enough. I guess if it can heat 3-4 gallons of peanut oil it can probably handle wok hei. My other concern was the flame pattern. Most turkey fryers have the 4" diameter CI burner. Some camp stoves I've seen have larger diameter burners with an inner and outer flame pattern. Would that make a difference for wok cooks?

Alligator - what is the BTU output of the range burner you use on your bluestar?

BTU output is 22,000 and the flame is in a star pattern.  Not as high as a traditional wok burner but very high for a residential range.  Works pretty good.  Use a round bottom wok from the wok shop.