Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for new ideas

B-Eph
B-Eph Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi all! I'm going to be hosting a supper for 8 adults and I'm looking for some new ideas of what to cook on the egg. Something other than the chickens, pulled pork, brisket and ribs. Any neat ideas out there?

Thanks.

Comments

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited April 2012
    I'm on a Tritip kick right now. Poor mans prime rib, great with horseradish, great either way.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    The tri tip is great. I've smoked many of them.
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    I'm on a Tritip kick right now. Poor mans prime rib, great with horseradish, great either way.
    it has to be a regional thing, when i find tritip it costs more than prime rib
    :(
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    Tri-tip, Another beef cut I can't find in NY-NJ. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    There's a store down here in South Florida that sells sirloin flap meat. It is terrific. I was asking the butcher (and this place has a huge meat case!) about it and he said it the best kept secret as far as beef goes. He told me that if I didn't like it he would refund the money. It was great! It's a little on the thin side so cook it fast and slice it like skirt steak. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    stuffed pork loin

not too expensive, easy to prepare, very nice presentation
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • B-Eph
    B-Eph Posts: 9
    I like that idea. On one of those cooking shows a guy was smoking a Tritip. Suggestions on preparing and cooking?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's one from the Food Network. Some call it Morro Bay Rich's recipe, but this is where he got it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/santa-maria-style-bbq-oakwood-grilled-tri-tip-recipe/index.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's a great mild horseradish sauce.

Mustard Horseradish Sauce:

• 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
    • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
    • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
    • 1/3 cup sour cream
    • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustards, horseradish, sour cream, and salt in a small bowl.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Flap meat is skirt steak. Very good. Marinating it is key. Cook high heat and quick. The char is the best.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I want to try a beef Wellington one of these days. I also like cedar planked salmon
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    I like that idea. On one of those cooking shows a guy was smoking a Tritip. Suggestions on preparing and cooking?

I know there are plenty here with better recipes for this than me.

I don't bother with a sear. The last one I seasoned with Redeye Express. Temp around 325 dome to an internal of 135. Really, really easy cook, approximate 45 minutes with one flip.
  • There's a store down here in South Florida that sells sirloin flap meat. It is terrific. I was asking the butcher (and this place has a huge meat case!) about it and he said it the best kept secret as far as beef goes. He told me that if I didn't like it he would refund the money. It was great! It's a little on the thin side so cook it fast and slice it like skirt steak. 
    We marinate it and sell it in our store here in Florida. Boston Steak Tips. Tasty.
  • Pineapple stuffed pork loin.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited April 2012
    I have done this twice on the gaser (before getting my egg)  and it was a hit it will more than likely be even better on the egg. The pic is from the first time, it was slightly over cooked (company was late) but still a
    great

http://southshorenow.ca/videos/cooking/BBQ Pork Loin Roast.php
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Leg of lamb, bone-in, de-boned, or stuffed and crusted.

Beef back ribs, aka "dino bones." I find them 2 ways. Very meaty, and cut into single bones, about $4/lb, or leftover in slabs after the steak meat has been cut away, for as little as $1/lb if most of the meat is gone. Even the scrawny ones can be good, but I prefer the meaty ones to steak.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472

How about a Paella! makes a wow presentation and is a one dish pot.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Going to put on a jalapeño popper dip in about an hour. Never tried it before but I figure anything that can be done in the oven can be done better on the egg
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    always go Italian.....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Flap meat is skirt steak. Very good. Marinating it is key. Cook high heat and quick. The char is the best.
    No it's off the sirloin. Thicker than skirt but similar in texture and flavour. No need to marinate if you cook hot and fast and slice across the grain

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Damn that lasagna looks good!!!! I will try that very soon. Great call TJV