Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Ash for Fertilizer?

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 gal bucket almost full. Can I use it on my grass?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I don't think it would be a food for plants, ie fertilizer, but it is a great soil conditioner for gardens.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep. Mine goes in garden. Not sure if it does anything positive but no negatives yet so works for me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52
    Options

I work in Paper Mills handling their solid waste...NO not human waste! the wife hates it when people ask what i do...she thinks everyone thinks I works with human waste.  Now that is cleared up to the original question.  Ash or in this case ashes does have lime content. The amount will vary but for a norm it's about 30% of ag lime and a lot less life than ag lime.  Therefore you can spread it on your yard with out any issues.  I would not dump a pile in your yard...kinda of an eye sore.  I either put mine in my push spreader or just use a scoop and walk around the yard throwing it out.  AS stated already it is more of a soil conditioner. It would take years of cooking and compling BGE ash to amount to much.  But it will not hurt anything!  Everytime I clean out my egg I thrown the ashes in my yard for 6 years no issues.  It should be safe in flower beds being it is so low in lime content.  Industrial Ash from power boilers which burn bark, tire chips and cross ties will have traces of high metal which is not safe for human consumption or animals.  I do not know the analysis on BGE ash as to if there is any metal content.  What I do know is some of the mills I have worked in burned only wood waste and bark for fuel.  Which would be the closes thing to what we produce w/ our eggs.  Therefore unless you use something besides lump coal or wood in your egg YOU are SAFE.  Just my $0.02 from what I do for a living.  Little more info than needed for this thread.  I am not a bio chemists.

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Lime on lawns (or gardens) is for adjusting the ph of the soil...it is definitely not a fertilizer, which would be a nutrient taken up by the grass/plants/etc...still useful, but not a fertilizer.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Between forty_crk and stike you can learn a lot on this site! I'm serious. I have a "buckethead" shop vac from The Home Depot that I use to vacuum my EGG with and I've been dumping them in the yard for a couple of months now. Nice to know I could helping the grass and plants. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52
    Options
    True MQ- I was just stating it has Lime content.  Which is the only benefical content it has.  I apologize if I made it sound like its a fertilizer.  
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Nope, you didn't at all, I was just expanding on the purpose of the lime.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I spread it around my coniferous trees. Grass starts growing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I think it would depend on what type of soil you have (pH wise) and what you are trying to grow. Ash is going to raise the pH of your soil. So if you have a low pH and want it higher or are trying to grow plants that need a higher pH, go for it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I just put down 600 lbs of lime trying to get my pH to 7.0 area (currently at 5-6). I will put my ash in with the next load of lime.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    THANK GAWD someone posted a question about this - I've been dumping the ash in the flower bed ever since I got the Egg, till one day when my GF was out there w/ me, and she saw me do it - she then threw a hissy fit, and asked me to take the walk around the house to the garbage & deposit the ashes there.  I tried to 'splain to her that the ashes were all natural, and it was just carbon, and it wouldn't hurt anything, but she was having none of it. 

I didn't think (or didn't know, rather) to mention the lime content...

Anyway, wonder if I can print this thread out & leave it on the table, or would that be pushing it too much?? :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I wouldn't use it around azaleas and rhodos or anything that likes acidic soil.  Otherwise, no problem.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Ash from every thing (previous grills, the Eggs, the fireplace) have been going in my vegitable garden for (crap I'm old) decades.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    Options
    i toss it into the compost pile.  my neighbor buys those leaf bags and puts thirty of them out every year for pickup.  not us. all our kitchen scrap and yard waste, plus ash, goes into a perpetual pile.  in a year or so you have black loam essentially.  goes right on the grass.

in a week or week and a half, between coffee ground and fruit/veggie trimming and ash, i empty a thirty gallon container into the pile

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Griffin
    Options
    i toss it into the compost pile.  my neighbor buys those leaf bags and puts thirty of them out every year for pickup.  not us. all our kitchen scrap and yard waste, plus ash, goes into a perpetual pile.  in a year or so you have black loam essentially.  goes right on the grass.

in a week or week and a half, between coffee ground and fruit/veggie trimming and ash, i empty a thirty gallon container into the pile

Way too recycle and improve your yard, Stike!! I've wanted to do a compost pile, but have been in rent houses the past few years and don't want to piss off the landlords.

Rowlett, Texas

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Stike, I compost the grass clippings.  They break down well, and the volume reduces amazingly.  One of my kids did a science project on this, and during the period we recorded we put 700 cubic yards volumn into the bin, and took out 70 cubic yards of composted material.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I should add, that at that residence we had a very large yard and garden, and the "bin" was actually a big wire enclosure.  I turned it a lot, and ran a sprinkler on it.  The grass really broke down well.  The experiment ran almost a year. 

Stike, I compost the grass clippings.  They break down well, and the volume reduces amazingly.  One of my kids did a science project on this, and during the period we recorded we put 700 cubic yards volumn into the bin, and took out 70 cubic yards of composted material.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options

Me too....

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/_IPA_/ff9be324.jpg

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Glad to hear it is ok for the shrubery, that's where I've been dumping it.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Kinda funny (at least to me) but I was looking back at my oldest posts on another non-egg related site looking for an old cook and I found that I asked this same question April 14, 2005. Well, I thought it was funny/interesting.

Rowlett, Texas

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I grew up on a farm and still participate in the family operation. Any of you who have bought fertilizer products for plants or gardening know that the content is typically broken down into three elements - N, P, and K - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. Potassium is referred to in farming circles as "potash" - which is a term derived from potassium from ashes of plant material, which is what we are cleaning out of our Eggs. So yes, the lime is beneficial to the soil - but the ashes do contain some fertilizer content too. Those in northern climates can also use the ash for added traction on icy sidewalks or driveways. I have burned wood for heat for years and the ash is great for this. It isn't "pretty", but it works very well and won't damage concrete like some salts will.

• ButtNeckid
    Options
     .You sir, are CORRECT! Thank you for that post. Potash is a VERY beneficial element of fertilizer.Lime regulates the ph of the soil,if the ph is too high or too low for whatever crop you are growing the plant is unable to absorb nutrients in the soil.First,you must use lime(aluminum sulphate for acid soil loving plants,azaleas,etc.) to reach the desired ph window for your crop,THEN add the fertilizer,in quantites needed to obtain maximum growth.You can put all the fertilizer you want on the land but if the ph is not in the optimum "zone" it is futile and a waste of money.The easiest and most accurate way to know is take a soil sample and have it analyzed.