Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question I really hate to ask??

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have an Egret recipe ham injected, paste applied, and ready to go for tomorrow. My problem is now there is a good chance I won't have time to do it on the egg. My wife will be able to cook it in the oven if need be. Question is has anyone done one in the oven? If so, how was it? Same temp?
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• Gato
    Options
    That's what I was thinking.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The underlying statement (by saying "hate to ask") is that it is unacceptable to post cooks that are done in the oven.  I cook in the oven and stove as often, if not more often, than on the Egg.  If the Egg doesn't present an obvious advantage, then why bother with the lighting of the fuel, wait time, etc. ?

A few months ago, an Egghead (not on this forum) boasted that she hadn't cooked on her stove or oven for over two years ... everything was done on the Egg.  I laughed my a** off.  What a fool. 
     =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i thought he was just asking whether the temp would be the same. not whether we all demand that every cook be egg-based.

try not to call people fools just because they don't follow your exact line of thinking.  half the reason people are at each other's throats  these days (politics, race, religion) is they are so entrenched. unable to give a little slack, and too quick to mock them. 

i'm betting you saw it on the other forum, too.   i would have been impressed if you'd said that 'she was a fool' there, the equivalent of 'to her face' in this day and age.

but i'm guessing not.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Stike,

I am flattered that you are so fascinated with me, logging where and when I sign on to each forum, and keeping a diary of what I say and to whom I say it.  But, my friend, it is getting really creepy in that I don't understand your fixation on me.  I did not say what forum this person posted on.  I know of about twenty forums that deal with the Egg. I also don't care to embarrass people by name.  The few people I have had a disagreement with on any forum, I have handled it through emails.  You seem to relish in confrontations on the forum.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Options
    What I meant by hate to ask actually is that I have much more fun cooking on the egg and look forward to firing it up. I hate to ask because it means I will not be able to use it. Was not really an issue about me thinking it was unacceptable. But I can see where you may have taken it that way. Are you saying there is no benefit from smoke etc. by doing Egret ham on the egg?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Gato,

It was a general statement.  In my opinion, if you cook beans in a DO, but keep the lid on it, you are not realizing any benefit of the Egg's advantages.  Likewise, boiling hard boiled eggs doesn't seem to be advantageous either.

I hope this is acceptable to Stike.  I don't want him to spank me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    Stike take a hike