Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin question.

Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited March 2012 in Beef
I'm planning on searing my 3.3 lb. roast at about 700 degrees after a season salt, pepper, and garlic powder sprinkle. Let said roast rest as my egg reaches 400 deg. I have seen this recommended in older posts. My question is; Should I roast it direct or indirect? Plate setter legs up on grate? or no plate setter with a V rack in drip pan? Any and all help is greatly appreciated as always!

Comments

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    You'll have better results indirect as far as evenness of color when you slice it. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

One of the few indirects I do

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brownie
    I don't like meat too bloody, I usually go for medium.
    What temp should I pull it for resting?
    How long of a rest?
    What's the best thickness to carve?
    Thanks.
  • just made tenderloin last weekend, here.  I seared, rested 20mins, then did 400direct.  I pulled at 115, but I like rare.  others do 125.  tenderloin is so lean... i'd say definitely don't go higher than 125.  Rested 5mins; carved about half inch.  Definitely season heavily.

Enjoy; interested to hear how it comes out!
  • Brownie
    Wow, very nice! Thanks for the info.
  • Booten
    Booten Posts: 2
    As far as the beef tenderloin goes, how long did it take to get to the 115-125 degree range? I am trying to plan the cook around church and want to make sure I don't put it in too soon or two late.
  • Brownie
    I ended up searing at about 800 deg at a timed 90 seconds per side. Top, bottom, left side, right side, and flat end. 8 mins total (out of curiosity I checked temp; 64 deg.) . Removed to rest for 20 mins. Started to shut down for 400 degs. at just above 450 I put plate setter in legs up to help me hit 400. Returned loin. Cooked indirect for about 30-40 mins. Removed with internal temp of 127. Rested in foil tent for 10 mins. Carved at 133 deg. I wanted to do this as a trial run for Easter and I plan on starting to sear an hour and fifteen minutes before our meal.
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    I find that 2-3 minutes each side at 650+ , then close all vents for about 6-7 minutes comes out about a perfect medium using about 1.5" steaks
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    roasting is indirect by definition. if it can 'see' the coals, you're grilling.  may be a lower dome temp than you consider 'grilling', but it's grilling.

the dome says 400, but the lump is 1200.  if your meat can 'see' the 1200 degree lump, that lump will be cooking it in addition to the 400 degree environment

go indirect

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante