Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Screw Contruction

Options
RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited March 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Okay, so the Lag Bolt idea didn't work out. I redesigned it with pocket screws.

I left the bottom as an open latice because I don't want to have to clean ash, dirt, leaves, etc. off of a self.
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Richard - your new design doesn't show how many pocket screws in each joint. 

I think all the technical terms being thrown about confused the issue - no need to worry about what a "moment" is etc...

Just to make it simple - whether you use wood screws or lag bolts in butt connections, or screws in a pocket screw connection - just make sure you use 2 in each connection instead of only 1. 

That was the main point. 

Sorry we over-complicated the topic. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't actually put the screws in the illustration yet. It was 4:45am and I have to get up for work at 6:30. Cut me some slack ;-)

BTW, tomorrow is the day I buy my egg!
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't actually put the screws in the illustration yet. It was 4:45am and I have to get up for work at 6:30. Cut me some slack ;-)

BTW, tomorrow is the day I buy my egg!
    hahahahaha... hey, w/ the skill level of the guys on this forum, they've really set the bar high - I'm expecting a fully rendered animation w/ all the bells & whistles!!!  hehehehe j/k

Anyway, good job on the design!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • RichardBronosky
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I added the screws to the drawing.

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    I bought my egg yesterday. I have it sitting on cinder blocks right now. I was planning to make this table with my Dad the weekend after Easter, but he seems pretty harsh on my design. I don't know what I'm going to do now. The only feedback I've heard so far is negative.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    my virus scanner didn't like that .mov file.

YMMV
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • RichardBronosky
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @danhoo, I've never heard of that before. Any browser other than IE ought to just play the video in the browser and not download/scan it. Anyway, it will be on vimeo in 30 minutes.

Update:
    YouTube is MUCH faster!