Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs, Seasonings and Sauces - what to try first?

Options
eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
In anticipation of my new
journey with the egg I thought it might be good to go ahead and get a
few seasoning products. I see alot of brands being discussed. I
especially see Dizzy Pig rubs being mentioned.I also had one guy tell me to buy Saltgrass 7 Steak Seasoning because: "it'll make yer tongue lick yer brain". Needless to say, my buddy is
buying some of that for me tonight during his visit to the Saltgrass restaurant. Looks like I may have the steak category handled!

So I want to put together a basic initial experimentation set of
rubs seasonings and sauces and thought there might be some award winning
products or items that people love.

I plan on making the rounds...cooking burgers, spatchcock chicken,
boneless skinless chicken breasts, steak, brisket, baby back ribs, beef
ribs, tri tip, pork loin, butt, a$$ and who knows what else!  It would be nice to
have a variety of products on hand for the sake of spontenaety.

Any recommendations for my first rubs, marinades and sauces?

PS. I know I can make my own...and probably will...but want to try what's convenient and already good so I can better judge my own creations later.

Comments

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I highly recommend Dizzy pig products they are extremelly good!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • apollo140140
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub seasoning, and the Big Green Egg Sweet Maple are two of my favorites, especially for pork

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dizzy Pig for sure (I have Dizzy Dust and Raising the Steaks right now). Bad Byrons butt Rub is a must. Favorite rib sauce is Bone Suckin Sauce.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cigarnv
    cigarnv Posts: 10
    Options
    Dizzy Pig is the way to go.....Dizzy Dust, Raging River, Tusnami Spin and Cow Lick.... staples in the kitchen and the back yard. DizzyPig has far less salt then most other rubs I have tried so you get a lot of bang for your buck and not just a jar of salt and sugar.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited March 2012
    Options
    For sauces, there are many good ones. Blues Hog is quickly becoming a nationwide favorite. Big Bob Gibsons...very nice. The Slabs Kyles style is real good. For basic off-the-shelf, Sweet Baby Rays is a good one. Main thing with sauces is that they compliment but don't overwhelm all the other cool flavors you have built up underneath. Some sweetness, a little tang, some body and not too much smoke flavor.

Many of the sauces are loaded with other flavors with the expectation it will be put on bland food, and I a lot of them have way too much smoke flavor for the kind of cooking we do here on this forum.

Good luck with your choices.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Some sweetness, a little tang, some body and not too much smoke flavor.

Same prerequisites I used in college when looking for women....
    =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Dizzy Pig is definitely a must try.

I also like Albukirky Seasonings (another fellow Egghead), especially his green chili rub, and Draper's AP rub and sauce. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • eggnited
    Options
    Thanks Guys! All written on my handy sheet of paper. The only one I've actually tried is the off the shelf sauce Sweet Baby Rays...sweet..but I must say really one of my favorites! I'm going to ponder this list...you know...marinate on it a bit and then order a few items to have on hand. Thanks again!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Besides DP, I've had good spices and rubs from the Spice House, Penzey's and Pendrey's (great chilis.)

There are several online sources for lots of different sauces. Search for Hawgeyes. They have a good selection. I had Blues Hog And the Slabs from them both.

Don't knock plain old salt and pepper. Its all thats needed for  good piece of meat and the Egg.
  • Tomjohn
    Tomjohn Posts: 45
    Options
    Tasty Licks rubs from Fred Bernado are good rubs.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I ordered some bbq rub from http://texasbbqrub.com/ on a recommendation from this forum. Super nice guys, fast shipping. I will report on the taste as soon as I try it. Can't wait, but the stuff smells great. They actually sent me an extra two pounds.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub is definitely my favorite so far. I hear good things about Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, but haven't been able to find it yet.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• woody's wood pit
    Options

You need to try Cluck & Squeal along with Dizzy Dust

C & S is unbelievable ty it on chicken breast and you will love it!!!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• eggnited
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Wow...when I look back through this thread two things strike me. One...a very friendly and helpful bunch of guys. Great peoples here. And two...man....how can I choose? LOL

So I will tell you...there were so many comments about Dizzy Pig that I feel I must at least try the Dizzy Dust...if not more. Bad Byrons Butt Rub also goes on the short list. Blues Hogg sounds intriguing as a sauce...and finally Cluck and Squeal. Every single other recommendation is also on my radar and I will fill in with a few of the other mentions...just want to take the time to search and read up on all the products recommended. Looks like I will be doing some surfing on the keyboard! I will update this thread in the future after I try some of the products.
    Again...thank you...I truly appreciate the replies.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I ordered some bbq rub from http://texasbbqrub.com/ on a recommendation from this forum. Super nice guys, fast shipping. I will report on the taste as soon as I try it. Can't wait, but the stuff smells great. They actually sent me an extra two pounds.
    Gato, I've used Texas BBQ rub for a long time.  It's my favorite on briskets.  Also, I'll use their Texas Sprinkle Magic on steaks sometimes, and it is very good also.  Get on Bill Cannon's email newsletter.  He has some great tips and recipes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cigarnv
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub is definitely my favorite so far. I hear good things about Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, but haven't been able to find it yet.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/
  • cigarnv
    Options
    Besides DP, I've had good spices and rubs from the Spice House, Penzey's and Pendrey's (great chilis.)
    Pendrey's Chili blends are IMO some of the best... been using them for years
  • TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34
    Options
    I like using John Henry's... very good value for what you get. 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salt and pepper is good. Maybe have some garlic powder on hand.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BeerNBBQ
    BeerNBBQ Posts: 31
    Options
    as most people on here have said.. Dizzy pig is good stuff ;]
    Braselton, GA.
  • eggnited
    Options
    You know...I didn't say it before...but think the comments about  salt and pepper are  bordering on profound. Sometimes letting the flavor of the food come through is the best way to go. I've been looking through the threads and reading up. I especially like the hawgeyesbbq web site because they have a good variety...including several of the items listed in this thread. They also mention whether or not a particular product comes from a winning bbq team etc. Good to be able to go back in the future and do some further experimentation. I'm already planning on picking up some Cluck and Squeal at the upcoming Salado Eggfest and currently have Blues Hogg Sauce, Bad Byrons Butt Rub, Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust Rub and The Slabs Kyle BBQ Sauce in my check out cart. The dollar signs are starting to collect. Kind of wondering if I'm buying too much or overlapping? I'm trying to do at least a good initial cover for the various meats.  I am also considering the Dizzy sampler set. And of course will keep salt pepper garlic and other individual spices on hand.
    One thing I haven't mentioned...that is hard to describe....is that I would like to be able to recreate a taste that borders on asian. I can only describe it as a brewed flavor...almost hawaiian...almost asian...but not too sweet. I'm not talking stereotypical asian flaovors like terriyaki...but it might be. I don't yet know how terriyaki flavors change on the egg with smoke etc. I actually think I have a good chance with the egg. I may have to experiment with tamari mixed with other spices...and perhaps something to give a bit of sweetness. What I'm trying to describe is a flavor from when I was a kid. My dad was in the Air Force...and back in the 60s we had a kamado shaped bbq grill. I can just swear I had something that was like a carmelized smoky asian flavored beef or chicken. Or perhaps this is a phantom memory? Anyway...that's another spice goal I have...but will probably take a lot of experimenting to get there.

• medic119
    medic119 Posts: 80
    Options
    Dizzy Pig is the way to go.....Dizzy Dust, Raging River, Tusnami Spin and Cow Lick.... staples in the kitchen and the back yard. DizzyPig has far less salt then most other rubs I have tried so you get a lot of bang for your buck and not just a jar of salt and sugar.

I also have enjoyed DP Red Eye Express and Pineapple Head.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

Smokin' in the dark medium and spicy rubs are excellent.  Both two of my favorites for Pork butts....

Smokin' In The Dark!

• Gato
    Options
    Dizzy dust is great, but makes dust in the wallet too.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Alright, I have to put a plug in for my three favorite rubs - Plowboys Yardbird, Plowboys Bovine Bold and Golden Toad Steak Rub.

As far as sauces my two favorite are Grumpys and Cook N Shoupe.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • eggnited
    Options
    Yeah..almost pulled the trigger on the Plowboys Yardbird...figure I have to try it down the road. Also plan on looking at Pendry's for a chili blend at some point. Right now I am holding out for Cluck and Squeal first...and need to slow up just a bit since I'm buying quite a few other items. 

So, I went ahead and bought Bad Byrons Butt Rub, Blues Hogg Original BBQ Sauce, The Slab Kyle Style Sauce and Cimarron Doc's Sweet Rub. Now I want to finish off with two more companies....

I want to buy a few Dizzy Pig products...and also want to get the texasbbqrub.com rub for brisket. BUT...

II need a clarification on which product to buy from texasbbqrub.com

For brisket they have what is called:
    Old Number 2.

With this said...I think what people might be recommending is:

Texas BBQ Rub - Original

• Gato
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I called them up and talked to them or you can email them. I got the original and the grand champion. They should both be good all around rubs and would work on brisket. I think he said the brisket rub had a little larger pieces of onions etc. for the large cut of meat. Think I remember @VillageIdiot say he couldn't tell much difference in most of them. Maybe he has tried more and will chime in.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I called them up and talked to them or you can email them. I got the original and the grand champion. They should both be good all around rubs and would work on brisket. I think he said the brisket rub had a little larger pieces of onions etc. for the large cut of meat. Think I remember @VillageIdiot say he couldn't tell much difference in most of them. Maybe he has tried more and will chime in.
    I'm taking some one pound packages of "Grand Champion" Texas BBQ Rub to Salado to give out to friends and folks on this forum.  Show me the secret forum ring they gave to everybody that's cool on the forum, and I'll give you one.

To me, evaluating rubs is kinda like those whine tasters.  They'll say something like "it's got a hint of cherries, or tobacco, etc.".  To me, it either tastes good or it sucks.  I can't tell the nuances or differences.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• eggnited
    Options
    Yeah....I'm thinking all the cool kids got a ring before I showed up here. LOL See you at the fest!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Bone sucking sauce is extremmely good and gluten free!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com