Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Dome Thermometer Probe?

tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I bought a used small BGE in a nest a few weeks ago. It didnt come with most of the essentials like the DFMT, ceramic cap, ash tool, or the dome thermometer. I only paid $100 so i figured it wasnt a bad deal.

I forgot to purchase the thermometer when I bought the other items.

So, tonight I wanted to grill a couple of ribeyes in my new aquisition. I pulled the dome thermometer out of my large BGE to put it in the small dome and noticed that it had a pretty good build-up of soot, grease, or whatever on the probe.

I haven't read any posts regarding a periodic cleaning of the dome thermometer so I was wondering if it is needed. It seems that if not cleaned regularly, the temp might be slow to register and may even be inaccurate enough to make a difference.

Comments

• medic119
    medic119 Posts: 80
    I cleaned mine the other day when I calibrated it with hot water, dawn and a green scrubber pad.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Clean all mine when I calibrate the thermometers.  Liquid soap/bartender's friend, elbow grease and the boiling water usually get it fairly clean
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with Austin Egghead-and I always check the calibration about every other low&slow (where the temp over time does make a difference) and that's about every 3-4 weeks.  Calibration is good-and with the Tel Tru, no adjustment needed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    I assumed that once it was calibrated, I didn't need to mess with it. I guess I will start checking it every couple of weeks.