Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Lost Fire- Danger Zone

Options
Dunwoody Egg
Dunwoody Egg Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was hoping for a little reassurance. I have two 8+lbs butts going and
started at 6pm yesterday. I check it around 3:30am and it was going
strong with the meat temp at 150 and the egg at 215. I woke up at 6:45
to find the egg had lost the fire and the butt's temp had dropped to
137. Is the meat still good?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    Options
    You're still good.

It may turn out to be the best but you ever did.  There was one competition where we all fell asleep.  We use a stick burner, so you have to watch it the whole time and add a log every 15 mins or so.  Anyway I woke up and the fire was out.  We all thought we were ruined, but we ended up finishing 5th against 75.  25 of them were professionals that compete for a living.  Now I just wish I could figure out how to re create it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Dunwoody Egg
    Options
    Thanks for making feel better. Temp is climbing back right now. It is at 142 and climbing.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I say yes. It was higher temp on the outside and sealed and the time was short. Re-engage, Dunwoody!
  • smoke_monster
    Options
    140 degrees is the upper end of the danger zone for bacteria in meat.  At 137 degrees, you likely were in the danger zone for a short period of time.
  • Dunwoody Egg
    Options
    Great! Thanks for all of the help! 145 and climbing.
  • mustgrill
    Options

Digi2 DX will triple your chances that this will not happen ever again. Not 100% but 98%+ 

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/DigiQ-DX2--(Build-your-package)-.html

Located in Western North Carolina
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    I am sure you are safe.  Let us know how it turns out!  I vote for a temp controller!  Either a Guru as previously mentioned or a Stoker. 

I run a stoker and get good sleep now!  :D 
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    This can only mean i have been reading way too much!!!
    I have my DigiQ controller and my Rutland gasket ready, but no egg yet!
    Waiting very anxiously!!! Darn! :(

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • jasonarmstr
    Options
    You're still good.

It may turn out to be the best but you ever did....

So True!  This exact thing happened to me.  I just brought the egg back to temperature and the Pork Butt was the best ever.  It's what finally convinced my wife that the BGE is way better than the Traeger!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    just so you know, the danger zone has nothing to do with the butts internal temp being below 140, its all about the pit temp. wouldnt worry about it though, salt, smoke, dome temp wasnt below 140 for all that long, your good to go, but you do really need to read about danger zones and temps, etc. bge needs to put up something about this on this site, most here have it all wrong. i dont understand everything about these rules, the the food police even droped the zone to 2 hours from the 4, but.....please read up enough to know what the danger zone is.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    much of that rule has to do with food being out on a table, coughed over, handled, and served, because WE contaminate it (or can) with listeria, staph, etc. after or during serving.

if you have a butt in an oven, and it has been there at 250 for any length of time, then the surface bacteria are TOAST.  and unless it has been boned, there's no bacteria of concern on the interior. 
    so your butt, after the fire goes out, would need to be actively contaminated before you need to worry.

i know that's not exactly a conservative reading, but behind all of the USDA'a rules-or-thumb are the actual explanations. and in those explanations, you'll find the rule is merely a generalization.

among the interesting tidbits that the USDA explicitly says (which means, this isn't my interpretation, or my 'take' on things), which run counter to most people's 'understanding' are:

-that it is safe to eat eggs literally WEEKS after their sell-by date
    -that "best before", and "sell by" have literally NOTHING to do with food safety, that there is no such thing as a regulation saying that food goes 'bad' after the sell -by, and that (explicitly) "sell-by" or "best-before" dates are set by the manufacturer for the SOLE purpose of saying when something is at its peak of quality.  and that quality MIGHT diminish over time after that.  food does not go 'bad' a week after its sell-by.
    -only baby-food is required to have an 'expiration' date
    -if you have a country ham, hanging at room temp for a couple years, and find m,old on it...they say (in capital letters, even) DO NOT THROW IT AWAY.  merely brush off the mold and cook it like you normally would.

lots of things we have been taught, and which are repeated out of concern for "safety", are actually not correct.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    hey stike, how many days would you leave raw chicken in your car in the summer before cooking. maybe some rules apply. ive got some dry cured chourizo in the fridge that has some green mold, really, it didnt set up with white, its a store bought, that one i might not eat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it