Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paver Bricks for Raised Grid?

Options
skotdee
skotdee Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks, first time poster here, brand new to the forum. (looks like there are a few of us here this morning) Been cooking on a large BGE for about a year now and absolutely love it! Can't wait to read up on the wealth of knowledge on this site, thanks for having me! Im cookin' it up here in North Florida (Jacksonville) so any others close by give me a shout!

Here's my question: I'm looking for a simple raised grid solution and I notice a lot of people use bricks. I have a lot of left over paver bricks from my driveway and was wondering if they're fine to use or if I need to pick up some "fire" bricks. For all I know they are made of the same material but wanted to check and see what you guys think.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i used paver bricks for a while, and often still do

they resist freeze thaw by limiting water absorption, and that's one of the things that leads to spalling in a heated environment.  you don't truly need refractory (fireplace) bricks in an egg.

i had some leftover from this project

and use them for localized small indirect every now and then

or even for searing duck

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Stike- nice patio! Well done on the paver and wall work.
  • stike
    Options
    MQ: thanks. 
    keeps things neat.  i used to have to mow the old patio. hahahaha

• Little Steven
    Options
    Guess that li'l pile o' firewood has grown a bit eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I use pavers to lift the grid and sometimes for indirect heat in specific areas (as above). They work great. No issues at all.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

ok - good timing on this thread.  It came to my attention I had missed part of the initiation - Splatchcock ckicken.   Going to rectify this weekend.

For the raised grid - is the idea to get it the same level as the gasket?    Is this required for predictable results?

Are pavers from Home Depot the right height?   Is there a rack with legs that my local BBQ store sells?

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Options
    Stike - looking at your photo's - is that slices of Corn in the pan?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    boatbum-

Spatchcock chicken not only tastes great and is easy, but has the best smell of anything I have cooked. My neighbors came around from all sides to see what it was.

I think anything that gets your grid up near the gasket would work fine. I used pavers because I had some and have already spend a fortune on Eggcessories.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stike
    Options
    @boatbum.

those are smashed plantains.  panfried stove top for a few minutes, then flattened with a wooden spoon.  i was keeping them warm/roasting (to finish) on the egg while grilling the romaine.  they were a couple sides served with dinner
  • boatbum
    Options

Are you talking about regular, walk into Home Depot, pavers?  Nothing special or unique about them?

Does color matter?    Just kidding on that one - 

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Options
    @boatbum.

those are smashed plantains.  panfried stove top for a few minutes, then flattened with a wooden spoon.  i was keeping them warm/roasting (to finish) on the egg while grilling the romaine.  they were a couple sides served with dinner
    Thank you - looking closer, that makes sense.   They look awesome - is the recipe posted anywhere.
    Cookin in Texas
  • stike
    Options
    @BB
    you are asking the wrong guy.  i have heard "only to use firebricks! otherwise they'll explode!".  i nod politely and say thank you. 

then, when i'm camping i use rocks.  at home i'll use paver bricks, concrete patio pavers, bolts-and-nuts (galvanized!) to make a metal raised grid....

i tend to just get it done however it needs to get done
  • skotdee
    Options
    Wow, ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the input guys! Actually spatchcock chicken is exactly what Im planning cooking on the raised grid, after reading about it here. I've always done it inderect on a plate setter but am curious about doing it raised direct. Im assuming I'll get a bit crispier skin this way...
  • smoke_monster
    smoke_monster Posts: 42
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I just bought a Large Egg myself after doing many hours of research and obsessing for weeks :)  Trying to decide the best indirect and raised grid setup from the options (Expandable Rig, Woo3, Platesetter, etc) is really difficult.  I think I will eventually go with an expandable rig but in the mean time I wanted to start cooking so bought a round weber grid from HD for $13 and a 14" terra cotta flower pot tray for $10 to hold me over until I can decide the best eventual setup.

I cooked spatchcocked chicken on a raised grid setup:
    - Foil wrapped half bricks on the Fire Ring with the BGE grid on top of them

I smoked a 9# butt (18 hours!) using the following setup:
    - BGE Grid on Fire Ring,
    - On top of the BGE Grid I had
        - The Foil Wrapped Terra Cotta Tray for indirect heat shield & to catch drippings,
        -  Three Foil Wrapped Half Bricks for a raised grid
    - On top of the bricks I had the Weber Grid I purchased as the cooking surface

Note that I also have a Maverick ET732 that worked great except for the fact that I was compelled to wake up every 30 minutes to glance at the temperatures (but that's more my problem).  The bricks I'm using are standard clay bricks that I had laying around.

• hogaholic
    Options
    You will get crisper skin by letting the bird sit uncovered in the fridge for 10-12 hours so the skin can dry out. Raising the grid keeps the bottom of a spatch chicken from charring. In my experience it doesn't do much to improve crispness
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • skotdee
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, ill have to try that! I was thinking the direct heat would help with the crispy skin, not so much the raised grid...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Raised, bone side down...no flipping for me. I think the convection heat up high in the dome makes for the most crispy skin. If I have time and think about it, I will leave it uncovered in the fridge too...either way it turns out nice and crispy for me.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, ill have to try that! I was thinking the direct heat would help with the crispy skin, not so much the raised grid...

In a spatchcock all the skin is in on top, so it isn't exposed to direct heat from the coals.
  • skotdee
    Options
    Not if ya flip it at the end ;)
  • stike
    Options
    ...unless you flip, which many do.

like you i find drying it overnight, loosening the skin, adding a little oil, etc.  is good for crispy skin.  but the skin off my wife's chicken in the oven bests BGE skin hands down  (he said, ducking the stones)
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    Options

Just plain cement pavers.  Don't over think it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• hogaholic
    Options
    Not if ya flip it at the end ;)
    You got me there.  I never touch mine out of fear it will fall apart.  Might give it a try.

Thanks
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    regular old pavers
    LET'S EAT
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Who grills lettuce?
  • stike
    Options
    who doesn't?
  • stike
    Options
    don't knock it til you've tried it.
    i mean, you didn't like beer the first time you drank it, who are you kidding. now look at you.

bacon fat, cracked pepper, a minute on the flames...

• Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Bacon Fat? It doesn't get any better.
  • boatbum
    Options
    Sometimes I think if you pored bacon fat on newspaper it would taste good.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I have done cabbage 1/4s that way but never lettuce,On todo list
    LET'S EAT
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @ Stike.... I stand in awe.
    Large, small, and a mini