Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump Charcoal

Options
2»

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Big. Green. Egg. Charcoal. Is. Royal. Oak. Charcoal. In. A. Different. Bag.

virtually no difference. 
    What's. Your. Point. Didn't. You. Read. What. I. Said.

Seriously.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/makinglump.htm

It doesn't look too hard. I'd like to try it sometime.
    Seem's to me that cold beer would pair with the process nicely.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Stike is 100% correct. It's amazing how often this topic comes up. Royal Oak and BGE are the exact same product. Let's not over analyze things.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Stike is 100% correct. It's amazing how often this topic comes up. Royal Oak and BGE are the exact same product. Let's not over analyze things.

I know....and some people try to say that RO saves their good stuff for BGE...just not true. Exact same lump.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Just reporting my results. Was no reason to be rude about it.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Masked irritated person:. I'll spell it out. Doesnt matter what the name on your bag says. You've been burning nothing but royal oak all along.

Quality of charcoal varies from bag to bag with any manufacturer. Since yourBGE charcoal is really RO, any difference you see is unrelated to BGE vs RO

Your results despite same fill level are a function of it being a natural product, sometimes lighter sometimes denser. BGE is'nt better than RO or vice versa

Wasnt being rude. Was literally spelling it out, because the RO BGE question has been asked answered about 3500 times the past year.

I'm sorry if the internet didnt transmit my friendly banter correctly.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • skotdee
    skotdee Posts: 17
    edited February 2012
    Options
    My WW here in Jacksonville, FL carries RO, but I noticed they just switched from a 10lb bag to an 8.8. Whats up with that? Reminds me of that complaint call that went viral of the guy raisin hell when Jimmy Dean went from a 16oz to 12oz roll of Sausage, lol...
  • stilllaughing
    Options

skotdee,

It keeps them from raising prices. They made the change a couple of yrs ago from 10lb to 8.8 and the 20lb to 17lb+ but kept the same size bags on them. The 10lb bags have been popping up recently which makes me think the mild winter has people cooking outside more this winter and they are getting to the old bags in the back of the warehouses.

• Bobbareeno
    Options
    I have found that Restaurant Depot has 17.8LB bags of Royal Oak for $9.49 a bag. Sometimes they will put them on sale for $7.99 a bag. They are located in most large cities and you can easily get a pass to shop there even if you don't have a business license.

Bob
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I didn't ask a question. I know the company makes each bag. If it irritates you to have people discuss the variances in their charcoal experience then you shouldn't click on those threads.

I used more RO in four hours than BGE in 24. Seems more than a minimal difference from bag to bag to me. And if charcoal DOES vary that much from bag to bag then all the reviews of bags of charcoal are meaningless.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    the reviews are meaningless.
    aside from stuff that sparks, charcoal is charcoal.  never met a bag that didn't work just fine.

you may have not asked a question, but you were trying to make a point, and letting us guess what that point was.  i replied clearly, because every other question here is whether bge is better than RO or the other way around. if not asking the question, you still implied that you were comparing one to the other.  that might not have ended with a question mark, but that's hairsplitting.

and i'm not bothered by discussions about it...

you asked me what my point was.  i explained it.
    you seem awful upset no one had an answer why you used more of one bag than another.  i tried to explain why that might be the case.  apparently not a good enough answer for you.  i'm very sorry for that.

i'll not bother you again with stupid answers to questions you implied but didn't ask.
    figure it out for yourself next time.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stike, you've been more then patient regarding this issue.  I absolutely couldn't agree with you more.  Obviously some people are more sensitive then others. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• skotdee
    Options
    Ive used both BGE & RO charcoal and found no difference in the charcoal itself or cook time whatsoever. They are exactly the same in my experience. I have found some bags have bigger pieces and some smaller with either brand bag. I think it can just differ depending on the packaging, handling of each bag

just my two cents