Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for putting Egg into table

skiwee393
skiwee393 Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in EGG Table Forum
I'm almost finished building a table for my Large BGE. Before I kill myself doing something stupid just seeing what the all knowing members recommend as the best way to set the egg in the table without breaking it or myself. Tried doing a search with unlucky results.

Comments

• my brother and i set an XL in the table with NO issue... with everything removed from the inside and waiting to install the top after it was in the table i was surprised at how easy it went in (more than once). now raising it by myself (with the top on) to add another pave stone is a different story.

if you are moving the whole egg at once, go to amazon.com and search for "potlifter". It will cost you $20 and works like a charm.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Lots of friends and beer, but don't give them the beer until the job is done. Take out all the internals first.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jkrl
    jkrl Posts: 23
    Funny that you should ask this question.  I've had a table in my garage for months.  The wife kept nagging me everytime somebody came over to have them help me switch it from the nest to the table.  I never did because I told her that I needed to empty out the egg first.  Well this past Tuesday, I cleaned up my patio for the winter ahead and decided to put my XL into the table.  I emptied out the egg and called the wife and had her help me lift (guide?) it to the table top.  I then setup 3 stscks of pavers in the hole 4 high so that I had 3 supports in the whole almost level with the table.  We then placed the egg on top of the pavers and removed one layer at a time until it was resting in the feet.  Piece of cake!
  • Same as above. I took the all the guts out, removed the top half, and had a friend help me set my xl in my table. Too easy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • For a large, one person of average strength can just about do it.  I took the lid off, took the insides out and the was able to lift the base by grabbing the lower vent from the inside.  It's a struggle but can be done.  Obviously for 2 people it's easy peasy.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I'm going to buy my BGE this week.  Any recmmendations for a work station/storage cabinet (not plastic or Rubbermaid, please) for the accessories?
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I used a pot lifter. Very easy.

I also used the same pot lifter to remove an old 40" tube tv out of my dad's house. Multifunctional!
  • there are several web sights on how to build tables/carts.  I built mine with dolly wheels for easy transporting. I built tow carts for about 200.  I remove the guts and hold the bottom half of the egg through the vent hole.  I cna put it in and out by myself.  To put the guts in and the top on only takes a couple of min.
  • I had a friend say that he bought three bags of ice. Set the bags on top of each other and put the egg on top. As the ice melts, the egg lowers. It is a lot easier to tilt the egg to one side and remove empty ice bags than to pick the whole egg up and set it in that hole.
  • I suppose ice is one way.  I picked mine up, put it in the table and was done in about 10 seconds.  To each his own, I guess...  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • What I did to my egg in my table, was I used a tow strap around the egg and tied 4 pieces of rope to the tow strap for handles. Me and my son lifted the egg into the table very easy
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini

• What I did is wrapped my arms around it and lifted it up and dropped it in. Seriously though I had same concerns and just committed to it and dropped her in