Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bak Choi and cauliflower. Little help

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone done them before? I was gunna season and roast at about 400 indirect. Maybe a little longer for the cauliflower.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I can only be of minimum help because I don't eat rabbit food.

I can only offer this help.  It's Bok Choi, not Bak Choi.

You're welcome. 

:)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Never grilled it and don't really think it would be great. Steamed with a bit of butter. The Bok Choy I mean. Get me on that one Gary

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• trevorst
    Options
    Cauliflower is delicious roasted, but takes 45 - 60 mins at 350 in n oven. Never tried on BGE
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Oh great. The Grammar police found me. I'm done for.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

tried califlower on the egg the other night - wasn't happy with the taste.   I poured way too much hickory smoke on it - cooked very nicely, very tender, just had a really bitter over smoked taste.

We love cauliflower roasted in the oven, so i will definately be taking another run at this.  

I trimmed the lower leaves off, squared up the bottom and just set the whole head on the grill, indirect.   350-400 dome - will take about 25-35 minutes.

EEVO, Salt, Pepper - next time will not add any smoking chips/chunks - then ease the smoke up after I get one that is edible.   Based on how it cooked - this is definately going to be good side dish.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    One other thing - after roasting - you can either splash some basalmic vinegar on it - or - mix mayo and mustard together, then paint the head.   
    Cookin in Texas
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I'm sorry, Travis.  I'll give you an extra gyoza in Salado to make amends.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'm sorry, Travis.  I'll give you an extra gyoza in Salado to make amends.
    Sounds like a deal. I'm not sure what a gyoza is but as long as you cook it on an egg I'm sure it will be decent :)
  • travisstrick
    Options
    It turned out ok. The cauliflower was not so hot but, the bok choy was yum yum yum.

cauliflower: 425 dome. plate setter legs up w/ grid on top. Round about 35 min (that was not enough) Salt, pepper, EVOO, Melted butter, papprika.

bok choy: 5 min. 425 dome direct. salt, pepper, EVOO, drawn butter. (about as good as it gets)