Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I Sear my Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited January 2012 in Beef
Roast is about 10 lbs. Do I want to sear this thing or just put it on at 300° with a favorite rub?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• I go with Tweev.  I wait until I'm 10-12 degrees under target temp and run up to 450ish to finish.  "Sear" does not "seal in" juices as many, many culinary tests have proven.  What the higher temp does is produce a Maillard reaction between amino acids and sugars to enhance flavor not to mention appearance.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I am an advocate of thhe reverse sear method. As endorsed by Alton Brown and Cooks Illusrated
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited January 2012
    The last time I did a roast I did the DO method half immersed in liquid and I didn't sear it that time. It looked a little unapplealing during the first half of the cook but ended up having a nice reddish crust when it was done. Taste-wise we found no difference searing vs no searing.