Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE owner First Pizza

erickpanger
erickpanger Posts: 48
edited January 2012 in Baking
I purchased a large egg last Friday and have cooked on it four times so far. Moved over from a Weber Kettle and lovin it.

I got home from work last night after picking up the Plate Setter and a BGE pizza stone and had to try it. No time to make dough so grabbed a 12" Boboli Thin crust and some Mozzarella and olives from Wegman's

Took this photo through the top vent as it was cooking. The pie turned out very well in my opinion.

Having fun with my new egg in Jersey

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Glad you are having fun, that's what it's all about....that and the best food you've ever cooked and eaten. Wait until you try making your own dough or even just buying pre-made dough. It will blow away Boboli.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Have whole Wheat ball I'm about to roll out now It was a frozen ball I picked up last night while gathering the other goodies. Just lite the egg.

BGE Just another reason to be out smoking cigars drinking Scotch with the dog. Can't do that in the kitchen
  • I hear ya, brother! Can't go wrong with dual heaters- BGE and cigars.
  • Made pizza with pilsbury in a can like biscuits but pizza doe. Family loved it.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    First post and also new to the egg. My wife surprised me with an xl for Christmas. I know if you do not have pictures it did not happen, but you should buy the fresh balls from wegmans for your next pizza they are great. My first cook was a pizza since I know I could get high temps from reading all the posts. Best pizza I have ever had. I am starting a pork shoulder tonight, second cook. Do not have any help with temp control or probe, just going o.d school as I would on the weber or duo grill. I think I have enough Info from reading all the posts. Starting at 10 tonight with a 7.68 pounder. See what happens. I have a themapen.

JB
  • Sounds like fun Fruitguy. I'm sure it will turn out well. On my pizza last night. All was good but I bought wheat dough hoping to be more healthy. Not good. I did not like the dough flavor at all. Will get the regular flour dough next time or make my own
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited January 2012
    I'm new to the Egg Family myself.  I have found out that my local pizza place will sell their dough for $3, enough for a 16" pizza.  This is the way I'm going the next time I do pizza.  I've used the Trade Joe's pizza dough and it was very good but am eager to try the pizza place's.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I'm happy that your first pizza turned out so well.  Pizza is my nemisis...still trying to get it right.
  • Cooked my first pizza on the egg today. Only 19 degrees out but getting it up to temp wasn't a problem. I let it stay at 550ish for a good while to make sure the stone was good and hot. Flour on the dough before it went on the stone and a hickory chunk for smoke. Had some left over pulled pork in the fridge. BBQ sauce, pulled pork, onions, peppers, cheese. It turned out amazing!! Good crunch on the out side of the crust but baked through, cheese melted, everything hot. Man that is eating.
  • I have generally saved BBQ beef or pork from smokes to make pizza in the oven with. Cannot wait to do it on the BGE!! Not enough time in the weekend!! 
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Where's the pic frozensmoker? We like to see how these things turn out!
  • I'm new to the Egg Family myself.  I have found out that my local pizza place will sell their dough for $3, enough for a 16" pizza.  This is the way I'm going the next time I do pizza.  I've used the Trade Joe's pizza dough and it was very good but am eager to try the pizza place's.
    The dough from the pizza place sounds great. However, you can buy a frozen dough ball for around $1 at any grocery store. I've had good luck with them. I made my own dough the last time and that was even better.
    Mark Annville, PA