Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Placement regarding smoke

Carolina82
Carolina82 Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Root

Hello everyone. I will be purchasing a large BGE soon and would like to know the best place to put it. We have a deck that is right off the back of the house with seating area and a lower level area where the existing gas grill is along with an eating table with chairs. We also have a concrete patio off of the back of the deck. My question is where is the best place to put the BGE? I'm concerned if it goes where the gas grill is, the smoke will interfere with the seating area on the deck. I could put it on the patio but it wiould not be as convenient to the house. I assume it throws off a good amount of smoke like other charcoal grills and was wondering if most people keep them away from their entertaining areas.

Thanks, and I look forward being a BGE ownwer soon.

Comments

• The majority of the smoke comes when you are lighting, not cooking. What does come out is normally tantalizing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    i keep mine in my garage instead of smelling like gas and oil, it smeells like a texas bbq house mmmmm
  • I'd sell the gasser on craig's list and put the egg where the gasser used to be.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    put some smoking wood in the gasser and see if it bothers you there. i moved my open firepit on my patio 3 times before i was happy where it was. with the egg, its mostly startup thats bothersome, once its burning clean there isnt much of an issue
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There's some pungent smoke after lighting for maybe 20 minutes. I have mine about 15 ft. from the house, and I can rarely smell much smoke in the kitchen during the start-up period. I'm told that during long cooks, people can sometimes smell the aroma from 50 ft, but usually there is so little smoke that one can't tell where the cooking is happening.
  • Thanks for the replies. We were thinking that we would still need a gas grill for quick cooking. What does everyone else do? BGE  only?

Thanks.

• It's pretty typical that gassers go to the curb or get converted to egg stuff storage. Once you have used one a bit you will understand. The lighting and warm up times are pretty quick. Have some juicy burgers or chicken breasts from the egg and you won't want dried out stuff anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo
    once your egg is seasoned all you will smell is heaven. take your gas grill to the scap yard.  thats all everyone will be talking about is the great smell. 
  • You'll like what comes off the egg so much you'll make the extra time for it. Most of the time, if I light the grill, by the time I've finished with my cooking prep the egg is about ready to go. And when I am waiting the extra 15 or 20 min it's always worth it. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    what channingjohnson said.  takes no more time to cook on an egg.  why? because you used to prep the food, then go out and light the grill.  now, you'll light the grill, then go prep the food.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have only been an egger since April and I have owned some gorgeous gassers over the years, however, I couldn't even imagine grilling or smoking on anything but my egg.  In fact, we are now the best 'restaurant' in town!  You will soon understand!
  • How bout what I said? Sheesh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jscarfo

make sure your grate and vent holes are clear and youll be cooking in no time.  if your in a hurry i use my compresser and blow a little air on it and it ready in  minutes.

• I love my BGE (1 of 4 grills), but I grill or BBQ 3 days a week minimum and live in Wisconsin.  I have no problem making fantastic food on my gas grill, especially when it's 3 degrees outside and I don't get home from work till 6 pm.  But when I fire up the egg, it's right on the patio just outside the back door; I use a chimney to start some lump and that is the only nuisance smoke that is produced (4 or 5 min. max).  I say keep your Egg where it's convenient.  Got wheels on it?
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I have to agree with the above posts. When I first bought the egg I was about 50/50 egg and gas grill. I cannot remember the last gas cook, a few months ago. The only downside is limited space.
    George
  • I used to cook on the back patio, but since getting new patio furniture with fabric that holds the smoke smell a little too well, I have been kicked off the patio and now keep my BGE in the garage. I just roll it out to the driveway when I cook now. I highly recommend the egg nest if you will be moving it. Grilling and baking isn't too heavy with the smoke, but BBQ'ing can be especially if you arrange your soaked chips or lumps and light your charcoal to burn slow.
  • OK.  What Little Steven Said! LOL
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    BGE only. The gas grill was given away to my parents, the old offset smoker went to the ranch (hopefully it will be replaced by another egg someday)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings