Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18# Turkey

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited November 2011 in Forum List
Time and temp suggestions for 18# turkey. 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited November 2011

325 pull when breast is 160.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bhugg
    I was looking for a time per pound and recommended temp on the egg.  If I cook at 350, how long will it take to finish my 18#er?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • bhugg
    My most sincere apologies.  I have never cooked a turkey before.  I have brined the bird for almost 24 hours.  I am planning on cooking it directly on the grill over indirect heat.  I have been doing a lot of reading and have not gotten a clear answer as to what temp is best and for how long per pound.  I just found a website that suggests 350 for about 3.5 hours.  I am looking for your expertise as guidance for my first bird, and all the pressure of preparing "The Bird" for the big meal.  

Please and Thank You.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • bhugg
    I do thank you for your advice.  I was also looking at the Mad Max method.  He did a 21 pound turkey in about 7 hours at 325.  To me, that means 1 hour for every 3 pounds.  With that rate, is it reasonable to assume 6 hours for 18 pounds if done at 325?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • bhugg
    thanks tweev, you have been lots of help.  I think i am going to try 325 for about 6 hours and see what happens.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I just did a 19 lb. turkey. I let it sit out awhile to warm up while I got the grill ready. I had a 300 degree grate and a 360 degree dome. I had the turkey on a v rack that was sitting on the grid. I used the plate setter legs up.

I thought it would take about 4-1/2- 5 hrs. It was done in 3 hrs. I had 3-1/2 hrs. before I could serve it. I wrapped it in foil, then 2 bath towels and then put in my big cooler. It was still hot when I carved it a turned out wonderful. I did not brine it, just used a misty's rub.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I love a success story, I am very happy for you.

Happy holiday!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Kloss
    Kloss Posts: 8
    I did an 18-lber at 250-275 for about 8 hours -- with pecan wood smoke and some butter pads slid under the skin at the start. Best turkey I've ever had. Had it in V rack on top of the plate setter. Excellent!
  • Mugato17
    Mugato17 Posts: 26
    edited November 2011

Hello,

I smoked a turkey for thanksgiving on the egg and it turned out amazing!!! I brined it for 2 days in a 5 gallon bucket....1 gallon of chicken broth...1 gallon of water....1 cup brown sugar...2 cups of sea salt...thyme...sage...2 quartered oranges, 2 quartered lemons

Then I put rub under the skin and the oranges and lemons inside and smoked it using Hickory chips and Lump Charcoal at 250 until internal temp was 170.  It took about 20 min a pound.  It was a 16 pound turkey.  Best turkey I ever had

• I used a v rack and plate setter
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
     If you are lucky 'ol swamp balls will chime in for his two bits.
    Were you referring to me? I don't have much experience with turkey. I have only done one on the egg, and it was a beer can turkey. I had planned 15 minutes a pound, so I thought my 16lb bird would be done in 4 hours, but it was done in 3. I'm with you, not a big fan of turkey, (except in a bottle). Too bland.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings