Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5.25 LB Boneless Tri Tip Roast

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited November 2011 in Beef

Hi,

I did some searching but I can only find one post about using a tri tip roast and cutting it up before cooking. If I cook slow, can I cook it complete or do I want hi heat and cook in smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Tri Tip is traditionally a relatively fast cook, as it is usually served medium rare and sliced thin.

For a traditional Santa-Maria style tri-tip, use your favorite rub, some extra pepper, and lots of granulated garlic for your rub*.  Apply fairly heavily and put in the refrigerator for a few hours.

Cook fat-side down at about 275 degrees, indirect until the internal temperature is 125 degrees. (When the temp gets to 120-122 degrees, open the vents on your BGE all the way --- you'll need the coals active for the post-sear).

@125 degrees internal, remove the roast from the BGE, put on your silicon gloves and remove the grid and platesetter.  Replace the grate.  (If you have a rig allowing for a grid closer to the coals, use that.)

Now sear the tri tip on both sides (post-sear).

Remove the tri tip from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.  Slice thinly.

Total duration will be about 2 1/2 hours.

*Traditional Santa Maria style uses only salt, pepper, and garlic -- but these days usually rub, pepper & garlic are used.

Have fun,
    Don

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I like to season a tri-tip then seal it with my Foodsaver and drop it in a pot of water at 125°-130° for 12-24 hrs.  (Stove top Sous Vide)... The warming "burner" on my smooth top range is perfect.  The meat will be tender but still med-rare.  On to the egg for a sear (or light browning, in my case)... You will have everything but the smoke taste.. I've heard it rumored that some even add a teaspoon of liquid smoke to the Sous Vide bag.  :)
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    What is a tritip in Canada?.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Didn't know what a tri-tip was, I thought I would cook it like a steak but with the advice of others, I did the sear at 650° then dropped to 300° till done. When was expecting something like a steak and when eating it, I didn't care much for it. I scrapped the meal for the night. Not wanting to throw it away, I made some chili the next day. As I was cutting it up, I tried it again cold and OMG! It was great. I brought in the chili and leftover meat to work and everyone wanted to know how I made the chili. I was told that I need to see how the chili would do in a comptition. Not sure if it was that good but I did love it.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

I agree with Tweev_tip on the top cap sirlion.

I bought a crayovaced whole top sirlion at Costo, USDA Choice, they call it a top block. Trimmed it up and removed the top cap. The cap is what I cooked, after you trim the cap in looks like a tri-tip in shape and size.

Season it with Big Bad BBQ All Purpose Rub, basically salt, pepper, garlic and dried parsley. It's similar to Susie Q Santa Maria Rub. Seared it on both sides for 2 minutes each on a cast iron grate at 600. Removed it and added some red oak chucks and dropped the temp. to 375. Put it back on the adjustable rig with the grill at the felt line. Cooked for a little less than an hour to the internal temp. of 140, pulled it off and foiled it for 15 minutes. I can still taste it this morning, can't wait for lunch and a sandwich from the left overs.

In addition to the top cap we cut the rest of the top sirlion into roast size portions and cook as above. This takes your basic tri-tip taste (which we like) to the next level. Also the whole top sirlion was $2.99/lb. and tri-tips were going for $3.69.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.