Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket at 200

Options
zhper
zhper Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in Root
I'm a rookie.  First brisket, 6 lb flat, mango chutney glaze recipe in
BGE cookbook.  Tried to keep the egg at 200 per recipe, but battled for 3
hours and finished an hour early at 197 internal temp.  Tasty but not
nearly as moist as I had hoped but I did spill the juices from the foil
wrap.  Where can I improve this next time?  Thanks!

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    zhper,
    Brisket is a different cook than most and each one cook a little different. First, I'd never try 200, most Eggs settle at 250 and cruise without problems. At 200 dome, your grate temp (indirect) is only around 170-180. Second, I pull my briskets when the meat began to tear apart with a "fork twist" test. Sometimes 185 and others closer to 200. I've even had some that I took to 205 before they started tearing. Cook too long and the difference means moist meat turning to dry meat.  
    Kent Madison MS
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

That has to be the worst recipe for brisket I've ever seen ... a sweet glaze on beef? ... only 1 hr on the grill before 'foiling' for the remaining time ... and 200º on the egg?

There are tons of good recipe/methods available, this one is the worst yet!

Try not to spill the juices next time ... ;)  ... and welcome to the forum!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Greygoose
    Options
    i've done 4 briskets so far on the egg:

1. all on egg, never touched, 
    2. on egg to 165 , then injected, foiled ,  and ovened
    3. on egg to 165 , uninjected and finished in crockpot. 
    3. on egg to 165 , uninjected but mopped every hour, then foiled and finished in oven. 

always pulled at internal temp at 195. always marinated and rubbed the night before. always low and slow between 200 and 250. 

i cannot get the brisket i'm after. i believe brisket is the hardest thing to smoke and takes many years to get right. i thought i had it down on my last try, but it always taste the same to me. good flavor , but slightly dry and in need of some sort of gravy.  i just cant get it as moist as i would like. BTW, i've always used flats since that's the easiest thing available. I'm considering just hanging up the towel on these and sticking to the other great things that can be made on the device. 

BTW. My family thinks the briskets are awesome. 
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    edited November 2011
    Options
    If your brisket is tough and dry it isn't done.  If it's dry and falls apart it's overdone.  If it pulls apart with a slight pull and is moist / unctuous it's perfect.  I NEVER pull a brisket at 197 unless it's Wagyu.  Each brisket will cook to a slightly diff temp due to fat and connective tissue but try cooking a brisket at 220, wrap w/ foil and 1/8c water and a little rub when it hits 155, pull when the thickest part of the flat hits 203 and wrap in a towel and then put it in a cooler for the minimum of two hours.  Don't open the foil when you pull it off and keep your thermometer in there to watch the temp come down.  It should gradually drop to and as long as it's over 140 when you slice it you're golden. Typically I like to let it rest for 3 - 4 hours before slicing.