Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting ducks for Thanksgiving

Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hello All-

Long time BGE user, first time poster!

I've been tasked to provide 2 ducks (done on the Egg) for our contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner. My mother-in-laws' home is over an hour away and I think it could be as long as 2hrs before we actually eat.

That said, does anyone have any good advice on how best to transport the cooked ducks, keeping them warm and most importantly, keeping the skin crispy?

Thanks!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I use a Coleman cooler when transporting, which I place in a bathtub and fill up with hot water first, then drain & dry, to warm up the inside.
    I also normally wrap the meat in foil first, but that may flab up the skin a bit; if possible, a quick 15-minute blast in a 450-degree oven at your MIL's house right before you eat should crisp it right back up (the smoke flavor won't be going anywhere).  
    I'm making duck too!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That's great advice, Botch. Thanks. I was definitely thinking cooler and maybe some cotton towels to further insulate.

Yeah, I'll just have to commandeer the oven or maybe just fire up her grill quickly to finish it off.

I've seen some good posts re: duck here. What temp and time are you thinking? I'm thinking 400 deg at the dome for around 1hr 45m for a 6 lb bird.

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Let us know how the duck turns out! I've been wanting to do a duck, but have never tried. 
  • I have not done duck in a loooong time. Was pondering a goose but the duck won out in a popular vote. Key is to get that fat rendered.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Thanks, Squeezy. So you went over 2hrs? Seems a bit long for a 6lb duck. The skin looks great - I assume the meat was still moist?
  • Squeezy
    Yes meat was moist ... due to the large amount of fat, I kept it on a little longer to render the fat and crisp up the skin. As I mentioned in my thread, I prefer the rotisserie and if I had one for my egg, it would be a perfect world!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Let us know how the duck turns out! I've been wanting to do a duck, but have never tried. 

Ducks are wonderful on the Egg!!

I kike to buy whole ducks and butcher them so that I have the leg/thigh combos and the boneless breast halves.  I clow cook the legs, indirect, at 250, until the meat is falling off the bone.  I add the breasts, skin side down, on the slow grill and do a reverse sear to bring the internal temp up to about 110 and then sear in a hot skillet to crisp the skin and finish the cooking.  You can boil the carcas and make a duck stock that can be used for a great pan sauce.

• Hey everyone...boneheaded question but...

How do I change my profile pic? Don't see an option anywhere in my profile configuration..

Thanks,!

• Squeezy

Strange that option is missing ... unless I'm blind!

I wonder what happened?

• Ok, Squeezy, then it's not me. Thought I was losing my mind. I even looked at Java settings, page errors..nothing.