Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork Belly

Options
brookspw
brookspw Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I went to Husk in Charleston this week.  Had a smoked pork belly
sandwich and it was possibly the best bbq sandwich I've ever had...and
that says a lot.

Anyway, it was 2 strips about the size of payday
candy bars.  Who has smoked a pork belly, or strips as it may be?  My
guess is that he smoked it whole or in squares about 6x6 and then cut
it.

Who has experience in smoking pork belly?

Comments

• banzaitoyota
    Options
    I don't, but I want to try that!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Pork belly needs to be cured for a good period of time and then cold smoked. I don't think you could do it justice on an egg, but someone here may know how.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done pork belly a bunch of times. The pieces I get don't seem to be quite as thick as some I've seen, maybe an inch and a half thick with skin.

I usually cut the skin off, which requires a really sharp knife. Sometimes I use a whole snap off knife blade by itself, carefully. Then rub, and cook like ribs, but for less time. Most of the fat renders out.

When I've done it with the skin on, once cooked, the skin comes off easily, but overall I haven't had much fat rendered, and the rub flavors didn't penetrate well.

I have tried soaking the belly in maple syrup. That didn't turn out so well. The slab became like a chewy caramel. Just a medium coat of brown sugar did better.

In the end, it is very rich. Small portions, just a few bacon thick slices, usually do for me. Stays good chilled in the fridge for most of the week.
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    edited October 2011
    Options
    There's a vietnamese receipe for Pork Belly, with crispy skin. You marinate the the big piece (6x6 or larger) with Soy Sauce and Five Spice, garlic and onions. Then you scrub the skin from marinade, rub the skin with baking powder and let is dry for some hours in the fridge. Then you can slow cook it. At the end, pump up the egg and raise the temp to increase the bubbles in skin.
    It ends up with crisp pork belly skin like in the bayou cracklins.

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2010/03/crisp-roasted-pork-belly-recipe-thit-heo-quay.html
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France