Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru pit vs. dome temp

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest

I just put my butts on for my first overnight with my spankin' brand new Guru.  I am smoking 2 - 8# butts.  I clipped the pit probe to the grate just adjacent to my meat.  I set the Guru for 225F and but my dome temperature probe is reading 200F.  Should I bump up my Guru pit temp in order to get the dome temp reading 225F or what should I do otherwise?

Thanks for some timely advice.

Comments

• gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options

First Have you calibrated the dome thermometer. Because generally the dome temp should be 25 degree

or so hotter than the grid.

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • dsmith
    edited October 2011
    Options

First Have you calibrated the dome thermometer. Because generally the dome temp should be 25 degree

or so hotter than the grid.

Right.  This is why I didn't know what to set the Guru at.  I have bumped up the Guru to 240F which is giving me a dome temp of 225F currently.  I'm guessing either way I should be fine with that but I can always make some minor adjustment.

And no, i have not calibrated.

• MidloEgghead
    Options

I had the same problem.....even after calibrating.  The grill temp is not going to be the same as the dome temp, so I just dropped my probe down through the daisy wheel until it hung even with the temp gauge.

• dsmith
    Options

I wonder if you could simply clip the probe to the BGE probe. 

Thanks,  I'll let you know how it turned out.

• Big Mikey
    Options
    I replaced the BGE thermometer with  the DIGI Q probe several years ago and think it works out great. I sometimes use my other Digi Q to test the reading on the grate. I cook indirect and usual raise the meat above the grate. I don't see a lot of difference in the temps.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Calibrate both to make sure. I find my grate temp and dome temps are really close once stabilized. I never see a big temp difference unless I'm heating up or cooling down. Again, once stable, pretty much even for me. I go with 250 grate unless I'm trying to extend my cook time for whatever reason. Then I go down to 225.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat