Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for what's going under the egg

Options
keithb
keithb Posts: 8
edited September 2011 in EGG Table Forum

So, I'm alomst finished my table, but have a fairly simple question regarding what's going to sit under the egg.  I am going to be using the 3 ceramic feet.  I have some extra granite floor tiles that are 12X12X<1/2" thick that I was thinking of using.  If I use these, will it be OK to simply use some PL construction adhesive and butt them tight together to forrm a 24X24" square?

The table is all cedar, roughly 36X 74. I plan on doing a nice round cut on the end with the overhang (nearest the camera) and will stain/varathane once it's all done and sanded. I kinda borrowed a bunch of different influences to make it.  I'll probably also add some of the granite on the top shelf, same thing, just PL to the top if that works.

Comments

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    Keith,

I have two larges and they sit in large tables also. I have my eggs sitting on 2 1/2" paver's. You may what to consider that also? 

I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Sorry,

Beautiful job on the table! LOL
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • BUILDER
    Options
    In my opinion, if the adhesive is used to just secure the granite in place you should be ok. Construction adhesive is extremely flamable normally, (we use it to start fires on a construction site all the time) but I don't think there's enough heat penetrating through the granite to start any fires.

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Keithb
    While granite can take high heat (like setting something hot on it) I'd be concerned with it conducting the heat to the wood below. If it were mine, I'd want at least 2 inches and the feet under the Egg. I do a lot of high temp cooks and the paver under mine gets hot to the touch. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If there is wood under those tiles, I'd say no, don't do it.  I have 4 - 1x4's on edge under my slate and they have never scorched.  But I've seen photos of solid wood shelves under a stone that did.  You can see how my table is designed here: Table Plans  Also, you can see some thoughts on the subject by WileECoyote here: How To Avoid House Fires....  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • keithb
    Options
    OK, so it looks like a little mod is in order.  Fire brick will be easy to drop in.  I already have 3 2X4's on their sides under there, so I just have to drop in another to support the fire brick.
  • keithb
    Options

OK, so we've now got 2X4s supporting 2 rows of firebricks with the 2X4s being open to the bottom.  Will move the egg over using the feet this w/e.  Since it's cedar, I think I'm going to let it sit over the winter and probably finish in the spring.  I like the grey look cedar gets after aging for a while.

• nice looking table... and those brick will insure that you could never light up the bottom shelf.

I used some Watco Danish oil on my table - easy to apply.  keeps water and steak juice from seeping into the grain.