Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE on Craigslist

Options
crmwell
crmwell Posts: 19
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
imageUp in till 2 weeks ago, I had never heard of a BGE.  I was over at a friends house and he had the large model and was bragging about how great it is so I went home and started doing a search on the net.  I could not find any bad reviews and my Holland grill of 13 years was needing some new parts and I had decided to replace it .  Went to a dealer and priced a new large ,nest  and egg mates.  Wow over $1100.  On the way home we decided that this was out of our price range and figured that was the end of it.  I had been looking on Craigslist but couldn't find any deals.  I decided to look one more time and bingo I find a good deal.  A person has a new never used large BGE with nest, egg mates, cover ash tool, bag of BGE charcoal and starter blocks for $800!  This had been an employee gift and they never used it because they had a gas grill! LOL We drove over and picked it up and it was just as described,new never used.  We have cooked on it 4 times now and I am still learning as I go plus reading all the tips on this forum.  Food has all been great.  The one thing that I didn't like was that the cover model 5vca non ventilated is a pain in the a$$ to put over the egg with the mates hanging down.  I took the cover to a friend that has a upholstery shop and ask him if he could cut a slit in the back and add velcro like the other ventilated cover.  He said he could but suggested that he could install a zipper and it would be better.  So after the zipper was installed I took it home to try it out.  Man it is now a breeze to cover!  Since our purchase we have bought a place setter, rib rack, grill grabber tool, 3 tier rack for when we have a group over and need more space.  We borrowed a 14" pizza stone from our friend to make a pizza so now we need a stone and maybe latter a cast iron grate.  Looking forward to making a lot of great food.  With the Holland grill you could not use it when the weather got cold but now we will be able to grill all year around!

Comments