Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining Consistent Smoke

Options
pitmaster_wannabe
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I'm doing my second
brisket this weekend and I'd like to keep a consistent smoke rolling for about
2 hours at the beginning of my cook.  The last brisket I did I
was having to open the lid and remove the brisket to add more wood chips.  I'd
love to be able to leave my lid on through 150 degrees to maintain a consistent
temp and humidity.  

My question is, how can
I keep the smoke consistent and rolling for 2 hours straight without
opening the lid?  I plan to use both small chips and some larger, fist
sized chunks.  Some things I've seen are getting the coals hot and
situated and then putting the chips in tight rings starting at the center going
outwards.  The theory is as the fire burns it will hit the rings at
different times.  

Any tips/ideas would be really
helpful.  I've actually even thought of building some kind of tubing that
would allow me to feed smaller chips directly to the fire from the top vent
without opening the lid... but I figured I might want to post here before I
went to all that trouble!

I've also read that
soaking chips is pretty much a waste of time as the water barely penetrates the
wood and just evaporates right away anyway.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

As a newbie myself to the BGE world, I feel your pain!

All my other cookers are easy to add wood, with the EGG you must really plan carefully.

I'm sure many will chime in with sage advice ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options

Below is an article I found when I first was looking at BGE after one more water/gasser material failure.  I had lots of bags of chips on hand as the move to BGE was not pre-planned.  This about covers the chips/chunks smoke issue. Don't recall the author but good info-

"frankly, wood is wood. i use chips, chunks, barked, no bark, etc. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

chips and chunks don't do anything better than the other, unless you use one like you'd use the other. meaning, use chips like chips and chunks like chunks. people win contests with either, so it doesn't affect the food. you just gotta use them "crorrectly".

in the BGE chips can be mixed throughout the lump to maximize smoke during a lo and slo. your fire crawls around, so you want chips where the fire will be. you won't use up all the chips because the fire won't use up all the lump. don't screw with wet chips. in a ggasser, you wet chips to keep them from burning outright, and flaming. they can't do that in the egg. you can have a raging fire, and toss in wood, and it WILL NOT CATCH FIRE as long as the lid is shut and the airflow is dialed in. open the lid, and the wood WILL burst in to flame. shut it, and it goes out. it WILL smoke though. and that's what you want.

chunks are fine too. you strategically put them around the lump, and maybe push one into your fire right at the start, just to make sure.

put in as many chips/chunks as you want. smoke flavor is added as long as there is smoke. that means, if you had a butt going 20 hours, and the smoke only showed up for the last hour, it'll still smell like (and taste like) smoke. it's the smoke RING that only forms in the first hour or so. and the smoke ring is color, not flavor. so don't worry about when smoke kicks in. if you like a lot, add a lot of chips or chunks.

chunks vs. chips is the same as "ford vs. chevy". much ado about nothing.

oh, as for high temp cooks. i like to toss a couple chips in sometimes when a steak is finishing. did it last night, actually. and again, no worry about flames. i tossed the wood in, shut the lid, and got some decent smoke. only when the lid was opened did it catch fire. i flipped the steak, then shut the dome, and the chips went out. that's nice to know. flames are actually bad for steak. they look pretty, but flamed is less desirable than direct heat from the lump. flame isn't as hot, either.

whew. lotta typing.
    but this is something that comes up a lot...."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

You may be overthinking this issue.  We cook 15-20lb briskets all the time and use 2-3 chunks of smoking wood for each.  I put the smoking wood in just before the meat.  1 chunk in the fire and another 1 or 2 at the edge of the fire.  Shut the Egg and let it do its thing...ie get out of its way.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Yeah I'm with Smitty. And if you really want more smoke just add another chunk or two but don't blame me when your brisket is oversmoked. Also remember that just because you don't see smoke doesn't mean the brisket isn't getting flavor from the wood.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • BrunDog
    Options
    +1 on Smitty. I use a few chunks on top of lump spread about nd the smoke never ends.

-BD
  • Thanks for the reply's guys.  I'll just keep it simple with a few dry chunks on top and see how it goes.
    Thanks a lot for the help.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Before you load your lump, put a chunk on the bottom grate and pour 1/2 full. Add another chunk and finish filling. After you have lump going and ready to put plate setter in - add final chunk. You will see smoke in the beginning - but you want see it after an hour or so... but it is still there.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This month's Cook's Illustrated had an article about smoking a chicken on a gas grill, and they found that adding more wood halfway thru the cook, when the first chunks had burned up, resulted in oversmoked chicken.  I found the same thing with briskets back when I used a water smoker: if I replenished the wet chips halfway thru the meat got overly smoked.
    Don't worry about the smoke coming out the top continuously; what does the meat taste like?  I add chips at the beginning, and don't worry about it after that, and have no problem with the results.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• tsheehan7
    Options
    I think it's actually best to let the chunks burn for a little while before adding your meat.  The white, billowing smoke is not the good kind of smoke and can add serious bitterness to the meat.  Clear, "blue," or translucent smoke is what you need.  Don't worry if you don't see it.  If there's wood in there it's smoking.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I think it's actually best to let the chunks burn for a little while before adding your meat.  The white, billowing smoke is not the good kind of smoke and can add serious bitterness to the meat.  Clear, "blue," or translucent smoke is what you need.  Don't worry if you don't see it.  If there's wood in there it's smoking.

Eggactly!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.