Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will a 20lb bag last?

Mistick2
Mistick2 Posts: 15
edited November -1 in Charcoal
How long will a 20lb bag of BGE Lump Charcoal last? I am confused, the dealer told me it would last 1-2 years??? But, in this forum I have seen postings that say they go thru up to 400 lbs! in a year??? (3 people in our house & I cook on BGE 4-5 times a week)Have had a large BGE for 2 1/2 weeks now. :huh:

Comments

• It sure isn't going to last that long!!! From what everyone else is saying (I'm new, too) I would be that you get a bag to last six weeks tops.
  • I know that my very first 20 lb bag lasted 16 cooks. That was mostly hamburgers, steaks, chops and such, which are obviously quick cooks. I think during those 16 cooks, I also smoked either 2 or 3 pork loins (about 4 lbs each) on separate occasions at 225-250.
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Well if you have been cooking for 2 1/2 weeks now see how much lump you have gone thru and calculate the remaining based on your usage.   I only cook on weekends with an occasional weeknight thrown in and I get about two months out of 22 lbs.  Some cooks are low and slow while others are in the 350-450 degree range.  I never worry about the amount of lump I use as the Egg is very efficient at conserving it vs. the alternatives (I know a guy that uses a bag of briquettes every time he cooks).   Burn time will vary based on the manufacturer.  Check out the Naked Whiz site and you will learn a lot about lump.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I guess, if you don't use it, it would last indefinitely. But, I can't imagine what the sales person was talking  about.  I would imagine that you are at least 1/2 way through your bag.
  • I cook about 5 to 6 times  a week and go thru about 2 bags (green egg) brand in every two to three weeks.
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    On 8# of Royal Oak lump charcoal, over 5 separate cooks of: 3-4 hr on
    slow cook chicken, 3-4 hr on slow cook meatloaf, Trex steak,
    pork
    tenderloin, chicken thighs, and last night tuna steaks. I must say I am
    very pleased with the Royal Oak. After each cook I shut the
    cooker down and reused whatever charcoal was left. At $6 and change a bag.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • BBQRandul
    BBQRandul Posts: 5

i dont pay attn to how a bag last any more, i buy up a inventory, 4 bags and up.

i clean out the coals seperating the smallest chunks, keeping the middle to big chuncks,and alway keep refilling.  i use the smaller peices for 26" weber.

i like to cook 220 deg. and slow, over nite, so i want good coals....

• it will vary depending on if you do long cooks, temp and if you put out fire and reuse.

i logged 72 hrs. of cooking on a 20 lb. bag of bge lump......combination of 4 slabs ribs 40 lbs of pork, 2 pizzas and 30 chicken breasts ohhh and had some salmon fillets one night.

• Pizza will use more since you go hotter. More temp, more energy. takes about 4lb to fill the large. Last a long time for hamburgers and other quick cooks. One good pizza cook and its done (will pretty much anyways). A rib cook usually uses up about 1/2 of the coal that went in.

Keep a couple bags on hand, give it a stir and top off if needed. Dont over think it. Spend that brain power on what rubs to try (LOL).