Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic brisket questions

Aquaticdoc
Aquaticdoc Posts: 17
edited August 2011 in Forum List
OK, I'm ready to do my first brisket. I bought an 8# from Costco, so I'm looking forward to the next steps. I'm pretty comfortable with my marinade options, and like Emeril's Rustic Rub recipe from his cookbook, but am confused about the many postings on the forum. Specifically, some folks specify using the plate setter, others not. Some use two grills with a drip pan, sometimes with water. Some folks grill for a couple of hours then wrap in foil, others not. There seems to be general consensus on internal temps, around 190° and usually dome temps of 225-250°. 

We use apple cherry wood, as that is what we use in our wood-fired oven, and I like it as well as hickory, and I usually burn about 80% BGE chunk, 20% wood chunks, although for the brisket, I'll probably use a little less wood as it burns faster. 

My major question is whether or not to use the plate setter, and if there are other pitfalls.

Comments