Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice For a New Outdoor Kitchen

joe317
joe317 Posts: 28
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I plan on building an outdoor kitchen this fall and have been working on several design options. My design was set on installing a Weber Summit S660 natural gas grill and a Weber natural gas dual side burner, but then I learned about ceramic grilling and am now thinking about changing my design.

One option is to stick with my original plans, but add a large BGE. Seems like a great option, but then I wonder if I will use the gas grill. The S660 is $1,800 and a beautiful grill. But if ceramic cooking is as great as everyone says, I may never use the Weber and then have spent a lot of money for something that doesn't get used. One reason I can think of for keeping the Weber is ease of use for my wife. She's more likely to use the gas grill that's easy to start than trying to start the lump charcoal in the egg.

Another option is to scrap my original plans and instead buy 2 large eggs and the Weber side burner. This option is starting to appeal to me. because I can do different cooks on each BGE at the same time. Plus I still have the Weber natural gas side burner to cook beans, sauces, bacon, etc.

I'm looking for advice from others out there with experience.

Does anyone else have an outdoor kitchen with a BGE and a gas grill? Do you still use the gas grill or does it just sit unused? What do you use the gas grill for?

I'm also wondering about the side burner. My current Weber gas grill doesn't have a side burner and I don't miss it. I think this is one of those things where I don't know what I'm missing so once I have the side burner in the outdoor kitchen, I'll realize I definitely need it and wonder how I got along without it for so long. Most outdoor kitchen pictures I see on the forum do not include a side burner so maybe this is another item I won't really use.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• I have a nice char broil gasser. Snce I have had my egg (a medium) I have not turned on my gasser once. From my short time in the forum, that seems to be the same for everyone. I think by next summer I will sell the gasser and get another egg. My wife never used the gas grill and has no desire to learn the egg so it's not a problem for me. Just make sure you have enough grill space for your needs. A lot of people pair a large egg with a medium or small.

As for the side burner, that's a good idea and one I plan to incorporate into my table soon. I have been using a chimney starter on the side burner of my gasser to start the charcoal for the egg. I will post a pic soon.

You may want to try out an egg before you make the leap. Go to your local dealer or one of the eggfests if there is one nearby.
  • DocG
    DocG Posts: 4
    I average cooking on a grill 6 nights a week. Over the last few years I have literally burned out 2 Weber Genesis Gas Grills and am 2 years into a Weber Summit which I think is the nicest gasser on the market. I bought a large BGE this July and have had the gas grill fired up one time since the Egg came on the scene. I still will use the Weber but to do ancillary things while the Egg is working on the main course etc.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    Only my husband uses the gas grill. I think that it was a mistake to put it in, from day one. I have gas in the kitchen. Why do I want it outside, too? I am new to the BGE, but if you can light a match, you can use the BGE. With the gas grill, it gets dirty and becomes hard to light, with the electric spark. Good luck with your plans.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    joe317 I've been Egg'n since 1999 and now have 4 (2 larges, a small and a mini). I also have a cheap gas grill but it is devoted entirely to my Griddle Q for those mornings I just want to quickly fry up some bacon, eggs and pancakes outside. The Griddle Q is perfect for those situations.

My advice is to plan your outdoor kitchen with the thought that you will likely have at least two Big Green Eggs within the next couple of years. Like most of us the Egg has become our primary cooker.

Spring "I Just Thought One Egg Was Enough" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• hubbq
    hubbq Posts: 2
    I agree with spring chicken, the gasser is an excellent driver for the Griddle-Q and when your egg is tied up with a long cook.

As far as a sideburner, we decided to go with a powerburner. The wife and I went with the Firemagic powerburner when we built last year. It will allow you to cook small side dishes, but also can heat enough oil to deep fry a turkey! It also has a ring built in that perfectly cradles a wok. :-D
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Have'nt used the gasser all that much since I got a LBGE last September but since I just won a Stainless Weber Genesis at a golf tournament (first love) I am going to keep my options open.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    I agree with the wise bird(Spring Chicken) you always want to have the option. I have had my Char-broil 7000 for 11 years now. so you do not have to buy top of the line gasser just top of the line Kamado style cookers (BGE)
  • Last summer I did an outdoor kitchen and went with both the Summit and the Big Green Egg and use them both consistently. The Weber is good when you don't have much time and want to grill during the work week. The Egg is used for everything else when you have the time. I decided against a side burner because I didn't think I would need it and I haven't missed it at all. My recommendation is to go with both if you can.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    I got a Weber Summit 6 burner about 8 years ago and I loved it. I got my egg about a year and a half ago and I can count on both hands the number of times I've used the Weber for my main cook (usually when it's raining). I do use it for sides and stuff sometimes. It is nice to have options and the wife does use the gasser some (she's never use the egg). My 2 cents...I am just not sure you should invest that much in a gasser that you will only use every once in a while. Maybe get a SS Genesis. I have a side burner and thought I would use it, but I don't. I hope to build an outdoor kitchen at some point, but that is a ways down the the line for me. Good luck with it, have fun.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I never use my gas grill anymore, except as storage for my accessories. My gasser will be making the trip to my parents house as they are in dire need of a new grill but will never convert to charcoal/lump.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    Most side burners are only 11 or 12 k BTUs and are good for warming sauce and that's about it.
    I have equipped many outdoor kitchens over the last nine years and almost every family abandoned the gas grill for their Egg. I agree with Spring Chicken and make sure you leave room for another Egg down the road
  • EggMax
    EggMax Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    I have had a BGE Large since fathers day. Haven't turned the gas grill on once. I use it to store my Accessories. Even on a work night I look forward to firing up the BGE. Maybe when the option for all these grilled vegatables is gone and snow is flying my view will change but i don't think so. My wife was not 100% on board when this started and she has now seen the light. How many are in your family. The reason I ask is the guy who got me hooked on this (just he and his wife and a baby to small to eat brisket) says he will be adding a 2nd Egg (Small) just because for the typical weekday meal without guests small is good.
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    edited August 2011
    I'm quite new to BGE, but I got a L BGE, a plancha and a wok gas burner
    imageimage
    as I cook a lot of vietnamese food. I think these 3 tools are covering all my needs. We gave away our gas grill when the Egg came in... until our friends get converted to BGE :D
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • joe317
    Thanks for all the advice and information so far. Keep the information coming. It's definitely useful for me and I'm sure others.

Leggsington - I like your set-up. Thanks for the picture. This is very similar to what I was thinking. Actually it's bigger than I was thinking, but I do like the Summit and BGE near each other. It's interesting to hear that you use both the Summit and BGE. Surprisingly you seem to be in the minority. Most people seem to be saying that even with a gas grill they typically always use the BGE.

I was thinking that I may lean towards using the Summit for grilling during the week when I don't have as much time and then the BGE on the weekends when I like to do larger more elaborate meals.

Does it take much longer to heat up an egg vs. a gas grill? I typically heat my gas grill about 5 minutes - 10 minutes; not that it's necessarily hot enough at that point. Just that I'm hungry and don't want to wait. There are 5 of us in the family and 2 of them are male teenagers (so you know what that means for my food bill).

I also appreciate the information about the side burner. The burner I was looking at was only 12,000 BTU and cost about $800. For that much money I could ditch the burner and just put in an egg in its place.
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    That setup looks nice. What part of the country do you live in? I can only dream of having a yard that nice. The view from my backyard is another neighbor:(
    San Diego, CA
  • iBeeSmok'n
    iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
    As you will see in my recent project the Weber is under cover and not part of the kitchen My wife uses the Weber for quick cooks but personally I really enjoy the eggs.
  • climbing egg
    climbing egg Posts: 74
    edited August 2011
    @joe317- I have never owned a gasser but my old CharGriller was used for storage for about two years after I got my Egg. I finally took it to work. As for a side burner, I use mine all the time. I don't remember the btu's but it is big enough to boil water.

@iBeeSmok'n- Sweet setup!

Here is my setup....
  • joe317
    Love the beer picture. Dos Equis is all I drink. It's nice living on the border where you can buy a case of it for $16 in Mexico with no tax.
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Joe -

We have a stainless steel gas grill under the deck that has been used three times. We are a two egg family, large and small and wish I had never wasted the money on the gasser. I will say that the power burner I have mounted in my outdoor kitchen with the eggs rocks! Two eggs and the burner have given us all the options we need.

ChrisCimageimage
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    edited August 2011
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Last summer I did an outdoor kitchen and went with both the Summit and the Big Green Egg and use them both consistently. The Weber is good when you don't have much time and want to grill during the work week. The Egg is used for everything else when you have the time. I decided against a side burner because I didn't think I would need it and I haven't missed it at all. My recommendation is to go with both if you can.
    That is a great looking outdoor kitchen
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    I put in an outdoor kitchen last year and went with an XL and a single burner. I don't recall the single burner BTUs, but there's plenty of heat to use as a saute station. imageimage
  • Joe317

The egg heats up quick, but the Weber is instant.  The Summit has some serious power to it and with the sear burner you can get the grill extremly hot quick for a good sear.  Nothing compares to the Egg, but my main thing is speed during the week.

Thanks DrZaius and WindnSea26...I live in the Northeast (MA).

• joe317
    Leggsington - which model Summit do you have, 460 or 660?

I think I may start off with a large egg in a nest before I build my kitchen. That way I can see how well I like it for grilling during the work week. In the end I think I'll end up with a LGE and a Weber Summit.
  • I have the 460 which turned out to be the perfect size for my set-up. I originally planned on the 660, but changed last minute since any big gatherings would involve the Egg or the wood oven we installed.
  • TL A2
    TL A2 Posts: 3
    Leggsington, I am envious of your set up, that is my dream, I have a weber stainless gas, large egg, and only need the brick oven and all of the stone work.  You have a perfect set up in my mind.
  • TL A2, check out fornobravo.com.
    They have the wood oven kits I got and putting it together was quick. The Egg is what I use the most, but the wood oven is fun as well. Plus you have a reason to join another forum (fornobravo.com/forum/).
  • joe317
    I was talking to my egg dealer (Barbecues Galore) yesterday about building the egg into a kitchen. He told me that I need to make sure at least 3 sides are open around the egg to get proper air flow for the egg. He said to put the egg on the end and leave the front, side, and back open for the air flow. What? Other than a table set-up, I've never seen it done this way in pictures from other people. This guy personally does not own an egg, but he says they build a lot of kitchens and this how they do it for an egg. In a way it makes sense. This gets it set up close to how the egg sits in a nest. But it really messes with the aesthetics of the kitchen I plan on building.

What do you guys think?

Does anyone have pictures of an outdoor kitchen built this way?
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    I, like many on this forum, got rid of my gas grill after getting my egg.  Never used it, so it had to go.  Finally after 3 years of single egg cooking, got a small to compliment my large last Fathers Day.  My advice - go with your two large option and do not buy a gasser.  You can light the egg very quickly with a weed burner and be cooking all week long.  Even without the weed burner, during the week you just light the egg before food prep rather than after like you do with a gas grill.  Two eggs will allow you many options on entertaining.  Ribs on one, ABT's on the other.  Steak on one, corn and baked potatoes on the other.  Huge party, a brisket and two butts on each.  

Ed

Joe 317: As far as three sides needing to be open around the egg for airflow.  What airflow?  At 250, the lower damper is open like an 1/8 of an inch and you can touch the side of the ceramic.  There's little airflow and little heat dissipation.  I think your BBQ galore dude is smoking something.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Glad you said it before I had to (open on 3 sides WTF?) ... the only airflow needed is for intake and exhaust ... as long as the exhaust has a clear outdoor space to dissipate, we are good to go....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.