Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has BGE Jumped the shark???

Options
JCinNV
JCinNV Posts: 141
edited August 2011 in Forum List
 Sad to say but this may be the beginning of the end for BGE as we know it and remember it, Being fun and very helpful, half the fun was searching for recipes that others had posted that looked good, but couldn't remember what was in it, somebody bought something that they don't know jack about and doesn't,want to learn about maintaining and growing the business, Mr. Fisher and staff put a lot of sweat in to building the busines, now mr nobody comes in makes changes and says take it or leave it, time will tell how many people will leave IT, Just my opinion,  

Comments

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    I belong to a LOT of forums, and this is, by far, the worst example I have ever been a member of.  I was not a huge fan of the old format, but after 3 years, it kinda grew on me.  I understand this one is new, and will need some tweaking, but right now it's a joke, IMO.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I agree - this untested, unrealistic move to an entirely different format with such limited capabilities proves it jumped the shark! At least when Coca-Cola pulled the bunder of the century with their switch to New Coke years ago they had enough smarts to see the damage they did to their loyal customer base and reverted to the time tested beloved formula of COKE. I wonder if the new guru at BGE has a clue what he has done to the unique franchise of dedicated LOYAL followers that the Miller family built over the years. Just another sad time coming out of the Hotlanta area!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wilco76
    Wilco76 Posts: 18
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I imagine everyone at the BGE Co. is reading in unbelief. I am sure that this was a product they thought would work, the problem is there was a lack of input of those of us that come and read. In my opinion, they need to work feverishly to improve the forum. Ask the users what they like (maybe create a focus group of longtime or high post users, people who use photo posting and want more features) and form the site to please those folks. That way they know the 'light' users will be satisfied too.

This forum should be seen to BGE management as their largest advertising avenue as it is active users of their products. I am relatively new on the site because I am relatively new to ownership. I did end up buying the egg after reading the forum posts for a few days (and because my wife wanted to buy me one for father's day!). Going cheap on a company sponsored forum that sells products for a company is not the way to do it. I could go on about how poorly I think the implementation has gone, but yesterday ended last night. The main goal of the managers of this forum should be to get it right for the users. 

I am guessing that this forum will lose about 7%-10% of it's post after 6 weeks or so. I imagine the longtime users will stay around and adapt. I think the biggest loss will be attracting new users.

All in all, I am glad that I am not searching for a cook for the weekend tonight. Finding photos on the new site is almost excruciating! See you guys around...
    John
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    This is just plain terrible.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    This sh*t sucks! 4 minutes for me to submit this reply!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I vote No.

Liked the old forum, like the new - whatever, it's the members that make the forum and BGE great, not the look.

I prefer the clean look of this forum, especially the pictures.

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    As a relative noob to the forum, I really hated the old layout. I was excited to move to something new. Like everyone else this does not really have everything I was expecting.

On the positive side, this site seems much faster and should provide a better platform for the future.
    On the negative side, there are alot of features that the current setup does not have.

If you look at the vanilla forums main site (vanillaforums.org) there seems to be a lot of customization that can be done, including lots of plugins to enable some of the features people want. I hope that the long term plan is to add more features once the system has a chance to settle.

I have been working in technology for a long time and you can't always start with every feature enabled, we need to give them some time to grow into what we wan it to be.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options

I'll give it a chance, as I reeeeally don't want to leave, BUT, I gotta say, I am NOT impressed.

Not impressed at all...I can only hope, that the powers that be, are reading and,  more importantly,

listening, to what everyone is writing.

I would think they are...but time will tell.

Ricklesss in Oregon.

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    this software needs to be beefed up with add ons...

I'm giving it time, but it seems the roll out so far has not been a success.

This roll out seems to have broken alot of the rules...

I'm sure the folks over at bge are in a bit of a panic trying to get things sorted out.

you always need real-world testing before rolling anything out
    context is important :)
  • GaryBushey
    Options
    Cannot even login using IE9.   Not very happy with this new forum at all