Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

leg of lamb direct or indirect?

grillin'caledon
grillin'caledon Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are newbies with the egg and loving it! Have had great success with spatchcock chicken, ribs and t-rex steak. Tonight we want to cook a marinated boneless leg of lamb. Should we do it direct or indirect, raised grid, what temp?
Thanks!

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    There are some lamb recipes in the cookbook here on top of the forum page..
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    This is one of those things where you have to find a recipe or follow your instincts to what you like.

Lamb is good cooked hot to med rare or lo-n-slo until it can be pulled.

I also like it cooked with a reverse sear (lo-n-slo) up to about 110 and then a quick sear.

I cook mostly direct on a raised grate, but there is nothing wrong with indirect.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    In years past, my mother would always prepare a leg (bone-in) for Easter, and the 'treasure' was no doubt, the shank, along with the onions & potatoes from the baking pan..
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    For a bonelss leg I'd grill it - direct and reasonably hot. Raised gets my vote depending on temp, either is good.
    I like to think of raised as roasting, lower as grilling.
    For bone in I'd say indirect and hence raised.